The lights on the tree are twinkling, the snow is falling softly, and the warmth of the fireplace beckons you to curl up in your most comfortable chair with a hot cup of Merry Mint Mocha. Here's the recipe!
- 2 tsp. / 10 g espresso coffee beans, preferably organic
- 5 sprigs’ worth of fresh mint leaves, chopped + extra whole mint sprigs or leaves for garnish, if desired or ⅛ tsp. / ⅝ ml peppermint flavor extract
- ¾ cup / 180 ml water
- 1½ cups / 360 ml 2% fat milk, preferably organic pastured or organic soy
- 1 Tbsp. / 10 g pure cocoa powder + extra for garnish, if desired
- Natural sweetener of choice to taste (optional)*
- *Xylitol works best with mint.
- Grind espresso beans (with the mint leaves, if using).
- Brew espresso with ½ cup / 120 ml water.
- Meanwhile, heat ¼ cup / 60 ml water to a boil and dissolve the cocoa powder in it, followed by your sweetener of choice. Add peppermint extract, if using. Stir well.
- Place milk in a saucepan over a stove burner set to medium, and heat until steam rises from the milk.
- Pour milk into a lidded glass jar. Insert a whisk, and spin it back and forth until froth forms to your taste.
- Close the jar tightly, and shake it for 30 seconds. Uncover the jar, and microwave it for approximately 30 seconds.
- Mix the brewed espresso with cocoa syrup.
- Fold in the milk mixture.
- Garnish as desired with additional cocoa powder, mint leaves, or whipped cream (2 Tbsp. / 30 g = ½ Carb + 1 Fat exchange).
Serving size:1 cup / 240 ml
Exchanges per Serving: ½ Carb, ½ Protein, 0 Fat