Is It Good to Have a Fast Metabolism?
A fast metabolism is great for losing weight, but it does have some disadvantages. See whether having a fast metabolism is good for you.
Updated March 3, 2023.
Some people are just born with the capacity to eat as much as they want and yet remain skinny, while others seem to be getting fat by just breathing.
Those blessed with a fast metabolism seem to burn more calories even when they're just sitting around.
The speed of your metabolism is known as your metabolic rate. In every cell of your body, there's a series of chemical processes that use up calories from the food you eat.
The calories burned by these cells when you're at rest determine your basal metabolic rate. This depends on the calories required by different tissues to keep functioning—your heart, brain, kidneys, and liver use up half the energy burned at rest, while your digestive system and muscles make up the rest. Here's everything you need to know about having a fast metabolism.
What Should You Know About a Fast Metabolism?
There are many advantages to having a fast metabolism, but it's not without its share of disadvantages either.
- A fast metabolism burns calories quickly, while a slow metabolism stores extra calories as body fat.
- The higher your metabolism, the higher the calorie requirement will be.
- You can eat plenty without having to worry about getting fat.
- You have a lot of energy.
- A person with high metabolism has difficulty gaining and maintaining a healthy weight.
- If they don't eat adequately, they lose weight fast and become weak, as the body is quick to use up available resources.
- When the body quickly converts the eaten food into energy, blood glucose levels can dip too low, leading to low blood sugar levels, irritability, and irregular heartbeat. So, they'll need to eat frequently to maintain adequate blood sugar levels.
- Mood swings are also seen in those with a fast metabolism.
How Can You Stimulate Your Metabolism?
Metabolism is largely based on genetics—some are just born with a fast metabolism, while others are not. Thankfully, there are many ways to boost metabolism:
Correct your diet:
- Eat regular meals
- Avoid crash diets
- Eat more protein
Increase your activity levels:
- Be more active with daily tasks
- Exercise regularly
- Do strength training
- Do HIIT workouts
Let your body rest and rejuvenate:
- Reduce stress levels
- Get enough sleep
Boost Your Metabolism to Reach Your Weight Loss Goals
A fast metabolism is great for losing weight, as you can eat a lot and still shed pounds. Nevertheless, a fast metabolism has its disadvantages, so make sure you consult a medical professional if you experience any issues related to a fast metabolism.
However, if your metabolism is too low, you can boost it by eating healthy meals, drinking adequate amounts of water, exercising regularly, reducing stress, staying active, and sleeping well.