Bean-free minestrone fit for a queen. Low-carb, Paleo, and keto-friendly. Can be made vegan and gluten-free.
Click to get more Easy, Healthy Recipes
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 30 minutes
Difficulty Rating 1
Health Level 5
- 2 Tbsp. / 28 ml olive oil or organic rapeseed oil
- 4 oz. / 114 g tempeh or streaky turkey bacon, preferably organic and uncured
- 2 cups / 240 g (4 medium) carrots, chopped
- 2 cups / 120 g (2 medium) turnips, julienned
- 1 medium yellow or red onion, chopped
- 1 whole bulb fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 medium stalk celery with leaves, chopped
- 1 medium leek, sliced
- 1 cup / 80 g cabbage, shredded or chopped
- 2 cups / 500 g stewed tomatoes, diced
- 1 qt. / L vegetable broth/stock, preferably low-sodium organic or 2 cubes bullion dissolved in 1 qt. / L boiling water
- 1 Tbsp. / 14 ml Worcestershire sauce, without high-fructose corn syrup
- 4 oz. / 120 ml dry red wine (optional)
- Additional seasonings (optional): ground black pepper, parsley and/or other herbs of choice, mustard seed, etc.
- In a 4-quart/liter lidded pot, warm oil over medium-high heat. Add bacon, carrot, turnip, onion and garlic, and sauté until just beginning to soften.
- Add remaining ingredients, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for about 20-30 minutes, until vegetables are at desired tenderness
- Serve with buttered crusty bread (1 oz. / 30 g = 1 carb exchange), cooked pasta or potato (½ cup / 80 g = 1 carb exchange), freshly grated Parmesan cheese (⅔ oz / 20 g = 1 protein exchange), and/or sour cream (2 tablespoons / 30 g = 1 fat exchange).
2 cups / 450 mlExchanges per Serving:
1 Protein, 2 Veg
Wasn't that delicious? Do you want more?