Soba noodles are a traditional gluten-free staple in the healthy traditional Japanese diet that have captured many a western heart. When paired with another such staple, green edamame soy beans, the protein quality is perfected. Classic Japanese seasonings round out this fast-and-easy, time-tested meal-in-a-bowl. Vegan-friendly, of course.
Click to get more Easy, Healthy Recipes
- 1 buckwheat soba noodle bundle (3 oz or 85 g)
- 6 cups / 1½ L water
- ½ cup / 60 g shelled edamame
- 1 Tbsp. / 15 g chopped pickled ginger
- 1 tsp. / 5 ml tamari (gluten-free soy sauce), preferably low-sodium and MSG-free
- 2 Tbsp. / 2½ g dried seaweed (i.e. nori, wakame), julienned
- 1 tsp. / 5 g prepared wasabi
- ¼ cup / 18 g chopped spring green onions
- 1 Tbsp. / 8 g toasted sesame seeds
- Add water to a 2-quart pot set over high heat.
- When boiling, add soba and edamame, and cook for 5-8 minutes until the tender, but not “mushy.”
- Remove from heat, drain, and rinse well.
- Add seasoning, and toss to combine.
Serving size:1 cup / 160 g
Exchanges per Serving: 1 Carb, 1 Protein, 0 Fat1 Carb, 1 Protein, 0 Fat
Will try kale next
Want to see the aforementioned squash