Upgrade your mornings or tea times with this super-scone. Can be made vegan, gluten-free, and FODMAP-friendly.
- 4 Tbsp. / 56 g butter or coconut oil
- 2 cups / 240 g whole wheat or spelt flour or gluten-free blend for baking
- 2 tsp. / 10 g baking powder, preferably aluminum-free
- 1 tsp. / 5 g baking soda
- ½ tsp. / 1½ g cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp. / 42 ml pure maple syrup
- 1 cup / 150 g fresh or frozen blueberries or 2½ Tbsp. / 25 g dried
- 2 tsp. / 10 ml lemon juice
- ⅔ cup / 160 ml dairy or vegan milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F / 220°C. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl, and knead int the butter using your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Stir in maple syrup and blueberries.
- Mix the lemon juice with the milk and pour it over the crumbly mixture. Quickly mix using a blunt knife, to form a soft dough, adding a little extra milk if the dough is too dry. Turn out onto a floured surface and lightly knead a few times, then shape into a circle, patting it out with your bands to about ¾ inch / 2 cm thick.
- Cut into 8 wedges, place on baking sheet, and brush the tops with milk. Bake in preheated oven 10-12 minutes, until well risen and golden.
Serving size:1 scone (approximately 2½ oz. / 70 g baked)
Exchanges per Serving: 1½ Carb, ½ Protein, 1 Fat