A classic superfood salsa to accompany a savory dish or enjoy on its own.
15 minutes + 1 hour refrigeration
- 2 cans (15½ oz / 440 g each) black-eyed peas or black beans, drained and ½ cup / 120 ml liquid retained
- 1 can (10 oz. / 285 g) diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 1 medium green or red sweet bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup / 120 g corn, cooked or canned and drained (preferably organic)
- 1 Tbsp. / 3 g Italian or other no-sodium seasoning blend
- 2 Tbsp. / 30 ml lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. / 30 ml vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. / 15 ml olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. / 1½ g salt or substitute
- 1/4 tsp. / ½ g ground black pepper
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, combine the peas or beans, tomatoes, green pepper, corn, and onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the pea liquid, seasoning blend, lime juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt or substitute, and pepper. Pour over pea mixture and stir to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Stir in avocado just before serving.
Serving size:1 cup / 220 g
Exchanges per Serving: 1 Carb, ½ Protein, 1 Fat