Roasting nuts adds deeper flavor and crispness. Don't skip this step!
- 2 large parsnips
- 1 cup / 142 gm almonds
- 2 Tbsp. / 28 ml olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups / 140 gm brown/crimini/Italian/chestnut mushrooms
- ⅔ cup / 95 gm cooked chestnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup / 120 gm raw walnuts, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup / 30 gm nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp. / 3 gm salt or salt substitute
- 1 cup / 110 gm SWG* or 100% whole grain breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp / 4 gm chopped fresh sage
- 1 Tbsp. / 8 gm vegan egg substitute, dissolved in ¼ cup / 60 ml water or ¼ cup / 60 ml flaxseed gel
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F / 190°C. Line a loaf pan with foil and mist with olive oil.
- Peel and quarter the parsnips, steam until tender, and mash.
- In a food processor or chopper, grind the walnuts together with the yeast and salt/substitute until you get a course texture resembling parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Toast the almonds in a frying pan over a high heat until golden brown, then set aside.
- Turn the heat down to medium, add the remaining oil and chopped onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 7 minutes until nicely softened.
- Roughly chop the almonds and put them in a large bowl along with the chopped chestnuts, walnut-yeast mixture, breadcrumbs, and chopped sage.
- Add the mashed parsnip and softened onions and mushrooms followed by the egg replacer or flaxseed gel.
- . Season and stir together well.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan, pressing it down well and smoothing the top. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil from the top and put the loaf back in the oven for another 15 minutes, then take out of the oven and put a large serving plate over the top of the tin.
- Holding the tin with oven gloves, turn the plate over so the loaf inverts on to the plate.
- Carefully peel off the foil and cut into slices to serve.
*SWG = sprouted whole grain
Serving Size: ֲ1/12 roast
Exchanges per Serving: 1½ Carb, 1 Protein, 1 Fat