This fruity, nutty and flavor packed wild rice salad makes a great vegan-friendly side dish for any meal.
- 3 cups / 720 ml water
- 1 cup / 160 g uncooked wild rice
- 1 cup / 165 g fresh mango, chopped or balled
- 1 cup / 80 g summer squash, chopped or sliced
- ¼ cup / 30 g roasted pecan nuts, chopped
- ¼ cup / 30 g roasted macadamia nuts, chopped
- ¼ cup / 40 g dried cherries, chopped
- ¼ cup / 60 ml olive oil
- ¼ cup / 60 ml lemon juice
- ½ tsp. / 2½ ml Stevia or monk fruit sweetener
- 2 Tbsp. whole pine nuts, roasted
- Wash the uncooked wild rice 3 times before putting in a saucepan with 5 cups of water.
- Place the pan over high heat and bring water to a rolling boil.
- Reduce the heat; cook covered for 25 minutes or less, just until rice is tender.
- Remove cooked rice from the pan, and put in a large bowl; let stand to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, steam or grill the squash until tender.
- Combine the mango, pecans, macadamia nuts, squash, and cherries with the rice; stir to blend well.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, oil, and sweetener in a small bowl before pouring over the rice mixture; mix well to blend thoroughly.
- Chill the wild rice salad in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- To serve, garnish with roasted pine nuts on top.
This salad is a great side to your favorite grilled delight.
Serving Size: ¾ cup
Exchanges per Serving: 1½ Carb, ½ Protein, 1 Fat