Nothing unglamorous (or unhealthy!) about this granola. If you like the classic Blackstrap Cherry version, you will love this.
2 minutes + 35 minutes
- 2 cups crisp puffed whole ancient grain cereal (e.g., sorghum, quinoa, Kamut ®, brown rice)
- ½ cup / 57 g hazelnuts/filberts, chopped
- ½ cup / 65 g almonds, sliced or chopped
- 1 tsp / 5 ml coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp / 30 ml pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp / 15 ml blackstrap molasses
- ½ tsp / 1½ g cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp / 45 ml water
- 2 Tbsp / 20 g chia seeds, freshly ground
- ¼ cup / 40 g dried red or black currants
- ¼ cup / 40 g dried blueberries or raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine first 3 ingredients, and set aside.
- In a non-stick saucepan over medium-low heat, stir together oil, maple, molasses, cinnamon, and 2 tablespoons / 30 ml water for about 2 minutes, until it thickens.
- Pour syrup mixture over dry mixture, tossing to coat well.
- Spread final mixture onto paper in prepared pan, insert into middle row of preheated oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes, toss, re-spread over paper, and place back in oven. Reduce heat to 300°F / 150°C, and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Toss with remaining water, ground chia seeds, and dried fruit, re-spread over paper, and continue baking for a final 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and allow to cool before serving.
Store in an airtight container (preferably glass) for up to several weeks in the refrigerator or for up to 2 months in the freezer.
Enjoy as a snack, or as part of a nutritious breakfast with pastured or vegan milk or yogurt (8 ounces / 240 ml = 1 Carb + 1 Protein exchange).
Serving size: ¼ cup / 60 g
Exchanges per Serving: 1 Carb, 1 Fat