What to do with extra or over-ripe bananas? Healthy muffins that just happen to be a timeless classic! Optimize your other ingredients for maximum nutrition. Easily made gluten-free, Paleo-friendly and vegan-friendly
- 1½ cups / 180 g whole grain/wholemeal flour, regular or gluten-free or:
- 1 cup / 120 g almond* meal + ½ cup / 60 g tapioca flour
- 1 tsp / 5 g baking soda
- 1 tsp / 5 g baking powder, preferably aluminum-free
- ½ tsp / 3 g salt
- 3 large or 4 medium-small ripe bananas
- ¾ cup / 90 g Stevia or inulin sweetener for baking
- 1 large egg, preferably organic pastured or omega-3 or:
- ¼ cup vegan replacer (e.g., flaxseed gel, aquafaba, tapioca mixture)
- ⅓ cup / 80 g coconut or dairy butter, preferably organic pastured/grass-raised, melted
*If using almond meal blend, decrease butter amount to ¼ cup / 60 g
- Preheat ovens to 350°F / 180°C. Prepare 12 muffin tins with baking cups.
- In a large bowl, mix the first four ingredients.
- In another bowl, mash bananas and mix in sweetener and egg/replacer, and butter.
- Stir wet into dry mixture until moistened.
- Fill cups ¾-full.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until toothpick inserted into middle of muffin comes out clean.
Serving size: 1 muffin
Exchanges per Serving: 1 Carb, 1 Fat (=1 Sweet)