Love lasagna but don't want all the carbs? This recipe is for you! The delicious trick is using thinly sliced zucchini (courgette) ribbons in place of pasta. Gluten-free, Paleo, and vegan-friendly.
Click to get more Easy, Healthy Recipes
Preparation Time 20 minutes
Cooking Time 1 hour
Difficulty Rating 1
Health Level 5
- 4 medium zucchinis / courgettes, about 7 oz / 200 g each
- 1 tsp / 6 g salt
- 2 Tbsp / 30 ml olive oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 cup / 70 g mushrooms, chopped or sliced
- 2 cups / 60 g raw spinach or:
- 1 cup / 156 g frozen spinach, thawed
- 2 cups / 480 ml roasted or stewed tomato, preferably homemade (½ recipe) or from a carton
- 10 large green olives, chopped
- ⅛ tsp / ¼ g ground black pepper
- 1 tsp / 1 g dried or fresh/chopped oregano
- 1 tsp / 1 g dried or fresh/chopped thyme
- 1 cup / 168 g artichoke hearts or bottoms, canned in water and drained
- ⅓ cup / 10 g fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp / 17 g pine nuts
- 1½ cups / 340 g regular mozzarella + ½ cup / 50 g Parmesan cheese, grated or:
- ⅔ recipe Easy Vegan Cheese (if made with raw macadamia nuts, no presoaking is required
- Preheat oven to 375°F / 190°C.
- Slice each zucchini/courgette into ⅛-inch / ¼-cm or thinner “ribbons.” Add them to a large bowl with the salt, and toss to coat well. Set aside to allow the moisture to drain out, about 20 minutes.
- Warm 1 teaspoon/ 5 ml oil in a lidded medium non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 clove garlic and all the mushrooms, and cook until tender and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add spinach leaves, cover, and remove from heat. Set aside to let leaves wilt naturally.
- Puree half the tomatoes with 1 clove of garlic, all the oregano, thyme, black pepper, and olives. Combine with remaining tomatoes. Set aside.
- Puree together artichoke hearts, basil leaves, pine nuts, and remaining olive oil, and set aside.
- When the zucchini/courgette has been draining for 20 minutes, pour out the salty water, and rinse the ribbons well. Dry them by pressing with a cheesecloth or paper towel to remove as much excess moisture as possible.
- In a 13x9x2-inch / 33x23x5-cm or similar pan, spread half the tomato mixture on the bottom.
- Follow by layering a third of the zucchini/courgette ribbons, followed by half the artichoke pesto, then half the mushroom-spinach sauté, and finally, a third of the cheese.
- Repeat steps 8 and 9, but without the cheese. Place a layer of the remaining zucchini/courgette, and top with the remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes; then remove cover and continue baking for 20 minutes. The lasagna is ready when the cheese is smooth and lightly golden.
⅛ recipe Exchanges per Serving:
½ Carb, 1 Protein, 1 Fat, 1 Veg
Wasn't that delicious? Do you want more?