Easy-to-make and always-enjoyed meal-in-one. Gluten-free. Freezes well.
Preparation Time10 minutes
Cooking Time60 minutes
- 1 Tbsp / 15 ml olive oil
- ½ cup / 120 ml onion chopped
- l lb. / 454 g ground hamburger or turkey, preferably lean organic pastured
- ½ cup / 120 ml sweet bell pepper, chopped
- 2½ cups / 600 ml stewed tomatoes
- 1 tsp / 5 ml ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp / 15 ml chili powder
- 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
- 2 tsp. / 10 ml blackstrap molasses or raw sugar
- 1 lb / 454 g gluten-free whole grain spaghetti or other noodles, uncooked
- 3 qt/L water
- 2 cups / 480 ml pinto or similar beans, cooked/canned
- Warm oil in large lidded skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef or turkey and bell pepper, and saute until browned.
- Drain excess fat, and add tomatoes and cooked beans.
- Add seasonings and sweetener to the meat mixture, and stir well.
- Reduce heat to low, cover skillet, and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring water to boil in a 4-qt/L pot and add pasta.
- When pasta is tender to taste, drain and add to meat mixture.
- Cover and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
Serving size: 1 cup / 240 ml
Exchanges per Serving: 2 Carb, 1 Protein, 1 Fat, 1 Veg