Flavor, flavor, flavor! This savory specialty of the Middle East can dress up any main meat or vegan dish, and offers plenty of antioxidant power to boot.
2 c / 480 ml
- 2 cups / 300 g tart green plums or ripe purple plums + 2 Tbsp. / 30 ml lemon juice
- ⅓ cup / 80 ml water
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ tsp. / 1 g chili pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. / 1 g whole coriander seeds or ground coriander powder
- 1 tsp. / 1 g fresh cilantro leaves, minced
- 1 tsp. / 1 g tarragon, minced
- ½ tsp. / 1 g dried mint, minced
- 1 tsp. / 6 g salt or substitute
- If using whole coriander seeds, toast them until golden, and crush or grind to fine powder.
- Place plums and water in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat, cover, and cook until soft, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove plums from heat and purée.
- Simmer plum purée in a skillet over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili flakes, crushed/ground coriander, and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add the salt or substitute and remainder of the herbs (and lemon juice, if using), and simmer for another 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Serving Size: 2 Tbsp. / 15 ml
Exchanges per Serving: 1 Carb, 0 Protein, 0 Fat