This zesty, creamy "hummus"-type spread will brighten up any meal or snack!
- 1 19-oz/540-g can or 2 cups / 410 g cooked* chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and well-mashed
- 2 Tbsp. / 30 g organic omega-3, olive oil or flaxseed mayonnaise or “vegan-naise” or:
- homemade Hollandaise sauce
- 2 tsp. / 10 g spicy brown or Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. / 15 g sweet or dill pickle relish
- 2 spring green onions (scallions), finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. / 10 g yellow onion, finely minced (optional)
- Salt or substitute to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
*Rinse and soak dried chickpeas for 12 hours, cook for 1 hour, chill for 15 minutes before incorporating into recipe.
- In a medium bowl, combine mashed chickpeas, ‘aise, mustard, relish, chopped green onions, salt, pepper, and yellow onion (if desired).
- Blend well by hand or in a food processor.
- Serve with cut raw vegetables or 100% whole grain bread, pita bread, tortillas/wraps, or crackers (1 oz = 1 carb exchange).
Serving size:⅓ cup / 90 g
Exchanges per Serving: 1 Carb, ½ Protein, 0 Fat