A warm, hearty, healthy soup that can second as a side dish.
- ½ cup / 100 gm cooked wild or brown rice or alternative*
- ½ cup / 50 gm celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small potato, chopped
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1 tsp. / 5 ml olive oil
- ½ clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1½ cups / 360 ml of water
- * Alternatives to rice: hulled barley, freekeh (green wheat), oat or buckwheat groats, slivered toasted almonds, shredded cauliflower
- In a pot, combine olive oil, onion, potato, carrots, and celery, and sauté for about 10 minutes over medium high heat until onions and celery soften.
- Stir in the garlic and water.
- Simmer for 5 minutes until the celery, carrot, potatoes, and onion are just cooked through.
- Stir in the rice and let it simmer for a few more minutes.
- After that remove from heat.
- Serve in soup bowls.
Serving Size: 1 cup