Healthful eating is a hearty comfort lunch meal with this low fat vegetable-bean soup recipe. Vegan-friendly!
- 1 Tbsp. / 15 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 stalk celery, chopped, leaves set aside
- 2 cups / 300 g potatoes, diced
- 6 cups / 1440 ml water
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups / 385 g lentil beans, cooked
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the garlic, celery stalk, and onion in olive oil for about 3 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add the potatoes and cook for about a minute while tossing.
- Stir in the tomatoes, cover, and simmer for 3 minutes more.
- Add the water and bring to a rolling boil. Lower the heat and simmer uncovered, for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the lentils and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Add the celery leaves; turn off the heat and cover.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Serving Size: 1 cup / 240 ml
Exchanges per Serving: 1 Carb, ½ Protein, 0 Fat