For any savory dish that needs a sauce or gravy, this healthy whole-food version offers a low-sodium, vegan-friendly option—to be used as is or dressed up with additional seasonings.
Click to get more Easy, Healthy Recipes
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 10 minutes
Difficulty Rating 1
Health Level 4
- 2 Tbsp. / 30 ml olive oil
- 1 medium white onion or 2 shallots, chopped
- ¼+ cup / 30+ g brown rice flour
- 1½+ cups / 360+ ml low-sodium vegetable broth/stock, preferably homemade or organic or:
- cooking water from vegetables, simmered with meat
- poultry "leftover" bits
- 1 clove fresh garlic or:
- 1 tsp. / 2 g granulated garlic
- 2 Tbsp. / 30 ml liquid amino acids for seasoning or low-sodium soy or tamari sauce, preferably organic or:
- 1 tsp. yeast extract spread (i.e., Marmite, Vegemite)
- 1 tsp. miso paste
- Salt or substitute to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- In a nonstick pan over medium heat, warm the oil.
- Add the onions and garlic, and sauté until translucent and lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Add the flour and liquid seasoning (aminos, soy/tamari, yeast, or miso), and mix well until smooth.
- Whisk in the broth/stock and herbs (if desired), and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, and simmer until a characteristic "sheen" appears, approximately 5 minutes. Add more broth or flour as needed to maintain desired consistency.
- Salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
Serve hot, or refrigerate/freeze to store.. Serving size:
3 Tbsp. / 45 ml Exchanges per Serving: ½
Carb, 1 Fat
Wasn't that delicious? Do you want more?