Natural “phytochemicals” in root vegetables purify and strengthen your body for optimal health. This beet-based bowlful is reminiscent of Ukrainian “borshch,” traditionally used in cold weather cultures to anchor a nourishing meal.
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 2 medium red or regular carrots, julienned
- 1 medium beet root, julienned
- 1 large red turnip or small rutabaga, julienned
- 3 Tbsp. / 50 g red or other miso paste
- 3 Tbsp. / 50 g tomato paste
- ½ tsp. / 1⅓ g cayenne pepper or paprika
- 5 cups/ 1200 ml water
- Add all ingredients to a 3-quart/liter lidded pot over high heat, and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are tender, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Serve as is or purée before serving
Serving size:2 cup / 480 ml
Exchanges per Serving: 1 Carb, 0 Protein, 0 Fat