Natural “phytochemicals” in root vegetables purify and strengthen your body for optimal health. This beet-based bowlful is reminiscent of Ukrainian “borshch,” traditionally used in cold weather cultures to anchor a nourishing meal.
Click to get more Easy, Healthy Recipes
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 2 medium red or regular carrots, julienned
- 1 medium beet root, julienned
- 1 large red turnip or small rutabaga, julienned
- 3 Tbsp. / 50 g red or other miso paste
- 3 Tbsp. / 50 g tomato paste
- ½ tsp. / 1⅓ g cayenne pepper or paprika
- 5 cups/ 1200 ml water
- Add all ingredients to a 3-quart/liter lidded pot over high heat, and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are tender, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Serve as is or purée before serving
Serving size:2 cup / 480 ml
Exchanges per Serving: 1 Carb, 0 Protein, 0 Fat
Miso is soy paste correct? I thought soy was one of the 5 foods we are never supposed to eat??? Confused.
Hi, ccordova. Miso is fermented soy paste, nearly always from organic soy, which makes all the difference. Miso has been used among long-living cultures and applied successfully in scientific research, and one of our very favorite seasonings. If you are sensitive to sodium, go easy on it.
Now I think I know the secret to making borscht. I visited Poland many yrs. Ago, loved borscht. But never could get it to taste right. It must be the Miso.
Hi, Letty. The flavor is really just regular soup but augmented with the vegetables. Miso is featured here if you would like to get the maximum health benefit and/or use it to “detox.”
Miso paste, homemade bouillon? What flavor is one looking for? I’m don’t use either of those two items
I love beets alone, but this I have to try
Hi, bowedorothy. Miso paste is fermented soy paste used as bullion. You can use regular homemade bullion instead, if you wish.
What is miso paste? We live in avery rural area of Cumbria England and I’ve never heard of it.
Thanks for the heads-up, Marionx! A glitch mixed two different recipes together, but has been corrected.
Red root super soup, why do the ingredients NOT include items detailed in the instruction. The instructions have items NOT listed in ingredients. Very confused