This is it! The original, basic, easy, and delicious chicken stock that can be the low-sodium base of sensational soups and used to season delectable dishes—with tips to upgrade for maximum flavor and benefit.
- 3 chicken thighs, preferably organic pastured*
- 2 chicken drumsticks, preferably organic pastured*
- 3 pints / 1½ L water
- ½ onion, sliced or chopped
- ½ carrot, sliced or chopped
- ¼ celery stalk, sliced or chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 whole black pepper corns
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, sliced or minced (optional)
- 1 cup / 100 g fresh herbs, i.e. dill weed, parsley, chives, oregano (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. / 6 g ground spices, i.e. turmeric, paprika (optional)
- 1 lb / 450 g fresh mushrooms, preferably mixed varieties i.e. white/crimini/portabella/maiitake/oyster/woodear/shiitake, sliced (optional) or 4 oz / 120 g dried mushrooms, broken into ½-inch / 1 cm pieces
*If organic, add the bones as well; if also pastured, add the skin, too.
- Put all ingredients in a 6-quart/liter lidded pot over high heat, and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- If using organic/pastured chicken: Remove chicken pieces and allow to cool, then remove the meat, put the bones and/or skin back into the pot, and simmer for a further 15 minutes.
If using mushrooms, add them to the pot instead of removing the chicken, and simmer for a further 15 minutes
- Strain the liquid through a sieve into a large bowl. Serve or freeze the chicken and vegetables for later use (1 oz / 30 g chicken = 1 protein exchange; 1 cup / 70 g vegetables = 1 vegetable exchange). Cool and refrigerate the broth/stock overnight.
- The following day, remove congealed fat from the top of the stock. Portion for reheating and serving, or for freezing for later use.
*If using pastured chicken, freeze the gel in ½ pint containers for use as needed
You can poach a whole chicken in this way for more stock and meals.
Serving size:1 cup / 240 ml
Exchanges per Serving: Free up to 1 cup / 240 ml; for more, 0 Carb, ½ Protein, 0 Fat