“As I am allergic to gluten and love quiche, I had to come up with something that both my husband and I would like. I make this on the weekends. My husband loves it and it gives us both protein, iron and vegetables and allows me to stay on my eating plan.” ~Harriet McGee
- 4 eggs, omega-3 or pastured
- 1 lb. / 454 g fresh spinach, chopped
- ½ cup / 35 g fresh baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1½ cups / 170 g mozzarella cheese, part-skim, shredded
- 1 tsp. / 2 g fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp. / 2 g salt-free seasoning blend
- ½ tsp. / 1 g fresh ground red pepper (if desired)
- ¼+ cup / 40+ g spring green onions / scallions to garnish (if desired)
- 2 tsp. / 10 ml olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°C/175°C.
- Over medium heat, brush or mist a medium skillet with 1 tsp. / 5 ml olive oil. Add sliced mushrooms and spinach. Saute until moisture has been removed and spinach is wilted. Remove from heat.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat eggs with whisk, add seasonings and shredded cheese. Add spinach and mushrooms, and combine all.
- Place into a 9-inch / 23-cm pie pan that has been bushed or misted with remaining olive oil. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Garnish if desired, and slice to serve.
The finished quiche can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week or frozen for up to a month.
Exchanges per Serving: 1 Carb, 1 Protein, 0 Fat