A simple, hearty meal-in-one to warm the soul and nourish the body! You can substitute the barley for any other whole cooking grain (green wheat, oat groats), or swap out the chicken for tofu to make it vegan.
Click to get more Easy, Healthy Recipes
Preparation Time 10 minutes
Cooking Time 30 minutes
Difficulty Rating 1
- 12 oz / 360 g chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces, preferably organic pastured
- ½ cup / 90 g hulled barley
- 4 tsp. / 20 ml olive oil
- 1 small / 70 g yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove / 3 g garlic, finely chopped
- 1 stalk / 40 g celery, chopped
- 1 cup / 240 ml water
- 1 cup / 240 ml tomato juice
- 1 medium-sized / 120 g tomato, diced
Serve hot. Serving size:
- In a pan, warm the oil over medium heat, and lightly sauté the onion, garlic, and chicken.
- When the onion turns golden and the chicken achieves a little color, add in the water, barley, and celery.
- When the water comes to a boil, turn down the heat to low, and allow the pot to simmer gently. Stir occasionally to avoid burning at the bottom of the pan.
- When the barley is nearly cooked, stir in the tomato juice and tomato.
- Simmer for a few more minutes.
1 cup Exchanges per Serving:
1 Carb, 3 Protein, 1 Fat
Wasn't that delicious? Do you want more?