A great use for leftover pizza dough — or make this recipe all on its own! Serve alongside an Italian meal, as an appetizer, or in a sandwich for a flavorful upgrade.
- 1 lb / 450 g pizza dough, preferably whole grain*
- 1 Tbsp. / 15 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 oz / 240 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large sweet (e.g., Vidalia) onion, sliced
- 1 tsp. / 6 g coarse sea salt
- 3 Tbsp. / 5 g chopped fresh rosemary, oregano, and/or basil* or:
- 1 Tbsp. / 4 g dried**
*You can use our recipe for Yeast-Free Pizza Crust, optimally with baking powder
**Half this amount if using the above recipe for dough
- Preheat oven to 425°F / 215°C. Spray olive oil with a mister over the bottom of a baking pan, rectangular 15×9 inches / 38×23 cm, or circular 12 inches / 30 cm.
- Sauté the onion in 1 teaspoon/ 5 ml olive oil over medium-high heat for about 10-15 minutes, until they start to brown. Add the mushrooms, cover, and continue cooking for another 5-10 minutes until the mushrooms are just tender. Set aside.
- If not using the above dough recipe, knead in ⅔ of the herbs.
- Press the dough into a 15×10-inch / 38×25-cm pan, so that it’s about ¼ inch / 6 mm thick.
- Drizzle/mist the remaining olive oil, sprinkle with salt and remaining herbs, mushrooms, and onions.
- Bake at 425° / 215°C on lowest oven rack for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes
Serving size: 1/12 of recipe = 1½ oz = 45 g
Exchanges per Serving: 1 Carb, 0 Protein, ½ Fat