Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
Ossie-Sharon 6 years ago

Hi, Gsprankle1. Hopefully you are being followed closely by a healthcare practitioner familiar with your case. If so, was he/she the source of hte 80 gram recommendation? Your pattern actually provides 225 grams of carbohydrates, which is fairly low. If you have received specific instructions to consumer far fewer, please do repost, and I would be happy to work with you. I would also suggest discussion your thyroid health, as this is a common issue in diabetics, and can stall weight loss.
Additionally, if you have been on a restrictive diet in the past, your metabolism may have slowed and it may take several weeks for your body to get used to normal amounts of food again and start right-sizing.
The most reliable (and healthiest) way to give your body a boost here is through physical activity. This is not just because of the extra energy it burns, but also because it protects and strengthens your most important fat-burning asset, muscle tissue.
If you are new to exercise, please let us know, and we can assist you with resources on getting started if you wish—note that you don’t have to dive headfirst into anything strenuous, and that there are helpful exercises to fit all ability levels and time schedules. Even just walking in place in front of the TV for the length of a sitcom is great—if you feel like you’re “out of shape,” just start with 5 minutes each time, and work your way up to 30 minutes, then twice per day if you need.
If you recently started exercising, the number on the scale may not be reliable at this stage. Since you are now swapping fat for muscle, which is much heavier, you may be getting healthier while the number of pounds or kilos stays the same. In this case, pay more attention to how you’re looking and feeling, how your clothes are fitting, etc. You may be pleasantly surprised!
If you have been exercising all along, the muscles you usually use may have become complacent and don’t burn energy the way they did at the beginning. In this case, we suggest to introduce new exercises, even swapping them out for the old ones for a little while, to wake up new muscles. The best results have been reported with introducing weight training—again, it doesn’t have to be super strenuous, just something you can do on a regular basis. Even just lifting filled food cans in front of the TV counts. Another option is to mix up the rhythm by adding bursts of higher intensity movement to a steady aerobic regime. This can be something like 30 seconds of jogging or going uphill every 5 minutes during a regular walk.
Regardless of your situation, it is recommended to you discuss your plans with your health care provider to be sure any needed safety steps are taken.
If you have additional questions or concerns, or if none of these scenarios appear to apply to you—and/or you are noticing that the food amounts are exceeding your physical comfort level—please do repost, and we will work with you to right-size both aspects of your plan.

Gsprankle1 6 years ago

I am diabetic and 300 mg of carbs daily is way to much. We are advised to eat no more than 80 carbs daily.
I actually gained a pound my first week. I think I no what I did wrong. Not measuring everything I eat. I am in the process of eliminating the sugar and it’s challenging to say the least. Any suggestions about the carbs?

Ossie-Sharon 10 years ago

Hi, Jayney8. Hopefully you are being followed by a medical professional for your chronic back pain problem – a physician, chiropractor, physical therapist, acupuncturist, etc. (ideally a combination).
According to the calculations, the menu you received matches your needs, taking into account a medical condition in which you are in bed more than the average person, as you indicated. The proportion of energy from carbohydrates is about 40%, which is quite low (the average diet yields 50-65% of energy from carbohydrates); AND less of what is on your menu is from available carbohydrates because the carb items are high in fiber.
What is your dieting history? Have you been on restrictive diets in the past?
It appears as though you miss half your meals – is this usual for you? This means you are meeting only half of your nutritional needs, which could mean a very slowed metabolism as well as weakness, which may mean you stay in bed more, and you may at some point get a spiraling effect.
If you are being followed by professionals, have you been given activities that you can do? Or that are forbidden? There are quite a few Club members who have physical limitations due to pain, and we work with them on options. In your case, I would want more information on this, though, just in case you are dealing with something more serious, such as a slipped or ruptured disk, etc.
I would be happy to work with you here to get a daily eating schedule set up so that your nutrition will not be a barrier to your feeling better.

Jayney8 10 years ago

Hi breakfast 1 cup of porridge, 1 oz almonds, 1 cup of raspberries.
Snack 1 slice of 100% whole grain bread, 1 egg 1 orange – missed meal
2 slices of spelt bread, 3oz tuna, 1 serving of free veg – missed meal
Snack 1 cup of grape missed meal
Dinner 3oz of chicken, 1tbsp of instant gravy, 2/3 cup of brown rice, 2 servings of free veg
Snack 1oz hazelnuts
This is my menu for yesterday

Also, Jayney8, I need a sample day from the menu you got from the Menu Planner.

Hi, Jayney8. I would be happy to run some calculations for you. I just need your height, weight, age, and a brief history of your dieting (have you been on restrictive diets, and if so, when was the last one?).

Jayney8 10 years ago

Hi yesterday was my first day and i struggled to eat everything on my menu as i dont get up till late morning due to my medical condition. I had breakfast and tea, but ive not eaten carbs in such a high amount before. The rice was a lot in my opinion. I am worried i will put weight on? Do i have to eat everything thats set out for the day? I am 5 ft 5 and weigh 168 llb. I really need to lose weight due to my chronic back pain. Thanks

Ossie-Sharon 11 years ago

Hi, ThinnerKaren. Check the Menu Planner for what foods are considered sources primarily of carbs and proteins – they are listed under these main categories.
As for the formula, if you want to post here your age, height, weight, weight goal (i.e. maintenance vs. loss), and activity level, I can write out the basic pattern for you.

ThinnerKaren 11 years ago

Dear Ossie, I really don’t know just what things are carbs and protein and fats escept for the very obvious, it would be nice if you could give us a list of iems in each catigory and teach us how to balance them out by a formula rather than just giving us menues. Any reply would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Hi, MarilynD14me. The Menu Planner application works out for you if it is the 1/2 or full portion. It depends what other items are in the meal. If you want the full two cups, you can reduce those other items depending on the nature of the recipe. For example, if it is a vegetable soup with beans, you can cut back (by about 1/4) the other vegetables, starches, and protein.

Hi, CarolClay. You can definitely add other ingredients to the basic ones you get in your menus from the Menu Planner, but do try to be aware of what and how much you are adding, and how it will add up. Try to use the program’s online guides – that salt-free, fat-free, sugar-free seasonings (herbs ad spices, vinegars, organic fat-free sauces) not only don’t “add up”, but also have added benefits. If you add a teaspoon of “good” fat (i.e. olive oil) a couple of times a day, that is also fine.
As for your menu pattern, according to the information you provided, the following is what would be recommended (you can use the American Diabetic Association exchanges for starches, proteins i.e. meat/dairy/substitutes, veg, fruit, fats):
Breakfast: 2 starches, 2 proteins, 1 fat, 1 fruit
AM Snack: 1 starch, 1 protein, 1 fruit or vegetable
Lunch: 2 starches, 2-3 proteins, 1 fat, 1 vegetable
PM Snack: 1 starch or sweet, 1 protein, 1 fruit or vegetable
Dinner: 2 starches, 2 proteins, 1 fat, 1-2 vegetables
Night Snack: 1 starch or sweet, 1 dairy/substitute protein
The overall ratio is about 1 gm fat to 1.5-2 gm protein to 2.5-3 gm carbs.

Hi, SavedByGrace. The diet patterns will be made available in the near future – the tech development team is working on it. For now, if you want to list your age, height, weight, weight goal, and activity level, I can give you an idea of what your daily pattern would look like.

Hi, ThinnerKaren. The intention is for you to eat all the foods listed, but it is also good to listen to your satiety signals and get used to not overdoing it. If you do want to cut back, don’t cut back more than about 1/4, and start with the fats and carbs, sticking with the proteins, vegetables, and fruits. It is actually better to add some physical activity that it is to cut back further. If you are still concerned, you are welcome to list here your age, height, weight, and activity level, as well as a sample day from your menus, and I can do a more precise calculation for you.

CarolClay 11 years ago

Oh. I forgot to say I am 65 yrs. old.

CarolClay 11 years ago

I am new to the program, here, and have a question, similar to many others. You say you will calculate the # of proteins, carbs and fats we should aim for daily with certain info. Here is mine: 5’2′, 154 lbs., low activity level -but working on raising it- and am a newly diagnosed diabetic.
Also, I thought the meal planners wpould be more into meals, not just ingredients that don’t, in most of my plan for the week, go together to make an actual meal. Can we add other ingredients to make the ingredients go together or what?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.