A savory stew made simple.
- 1 Tbsp. / 14 ml olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 lb. / 454 g lean ground beef, preferably organic pastured
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced or:
- 2 tsp. / 10 g garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp. / 9 g curry powder
- 1½ cups / 340 ml stewed tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup / 240 ml water
- 1 tsp. / 5 ml Worcestershire sauce, preferably without corn syrup
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp. / ½ g ground black pepper
- Warm oil in saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, and saute until golden and translucent.
- Add garlic and ground beef, and saute until the beef is browned.
- Add curry, and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Add tomatoes and juice, water, Worcestershire sauce, and bay leaf; bring to a boil.
- Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Add pepper to taste, and discard bay leaf before serving.
Serve over brown rice (⅓ cup / 65 g cooked = 1 carb exchange), with broccoli (1 cup / 100 g = 1 vegetable exchange) on the side.
Serving size: 1½ cups / 270 g
Exchanges per Serving: 1 Carb, 3 Protein, 0 Fat