Ratatouille goes to Italy in this simple, zesty way to make vegetables irresistible. Gluten-free, Paleo, and vegan-friendly.
- 1 lb / 454 g hot Italian sausage, preferably homemade or organic vegan or grass-fed/pastured, sliced
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium sweet bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups / 480 ml marinara sauce, preferably homemade or organic with olive oil
- ½ cup / 120 ml water
- 2 cups / 330 g pineapple, coarsely chopped (if canned: in natural juice, drained)
- In lidded non-stick skillet, brown sausage slices over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes. Pour off fat.
- Add onion and saute for about 2 minutes, until transluscent.
- Add remaining ingredients to skillet, cover, and lower heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve over whole grain pasta or brown orzo (⅓ cup / 65 g = 1 carb exchange) or beside whole grain focaccia (1 ounce / 28 g = 1 carb exchange).
Serving size: 2 cups / 450 ml
Exchanges per Serving: 1 Carb, 2 Protein, 1 Veg