Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Ossie-Sharon 10 years ago

Hi, M.Smith. Below is his pattern. He can either follow this, or just eat about 1/3 more than you.
Breakfast: 2 Starches, 3 Proteins, 2 Fats, 1 Frut
Morning Snack: 1 Starch, 1 Protein, 1 Fat, 1 Fruit, 1 Vegetable
Lunch: 2 Starches, 3 Proteins, 2 Fats, 1 Vegetable
Afternoon Snack: 1 Starch, 1 Protein, and 1 Fat or Fruit or Sweet
Dinner: 2 Starches, 4 Proteins, 1 Fat, 1 Vegetable
Evening Snack: 1 Protein, 1 Fat, 1 Vegetable, and 1 Starch or Fruit or Sweet

M. Smith 10 years ago

Sorry, forgot that one. His height is 6ft 1in

Hi, M. Smith. No problem. I just need his height.

M. Smith 10 years ago

Thank you, Sharon, that is so helpful, and such a quick response! Can you give me the same info for my husband? He is 47, 270 lbs, and same activity level. His goal weight is 220 lbs. TIA!

Hi, M. Smith. Below is your pattern, and this is the link to the exchange lists https://www.trimdownclub.com/exchanges-lists/. Note that “Starch” is another term for carbohydrate that is just more specific, to separate those foods from fruits and vegetables, which are also sources of carbohydrates. Where it is specified 0-1*, choose between the items:
Breakfast: 2 Starches, 1 Protein, 1 Fat, 1 Frut
Morning Snack: 1 Starch, 1 Protein, 1 Fruit
Lunch: 2 Starches, 3 Proteins, 1 Fat, 1 Vegetable
Afternoon Snack: 1 Starch, 1 Protein, Fruit or Sweet
Dinner: 2 Starches, 3 Proteins, 1 Fat, 1 Vegetable
Evening Snack: 1 Protein, 1 Starch or Fruit or Sweet

M. Smith 10 years ago

I am also curious about my food exchange allowance. I am 43 years old, 5ft 3in, 143 lbs. My goal weight is 130 lbs, and my activity level is moderate?? I do not exercise regularly, but I am moving around most of the day, not stationary.

Hi, nlh514. The most useful thing for you is to find the American Diabetic Association exchange lists and apply them to the following daily pattern:
Breakfast: 2 starches; 2 dairy; 1 fat; 1 fruit
10 am snack: 1 starch; 2 dairy; 1 fat; 1 vegetable
Lunch: 2 starches; 2 proteins (dairy or meat/substitute); 1 fat; 1 vegetable
Afternoon snack: 1 starch or sweet; 1 protein; 1 fat; 1 fruit or vegetable
Supper: 2 starches; 2 proteins; 1 fat; 1 vegetable
Night snack: 1 starch, fat, or sweet; 1 dairy; 1 fruit and/or vegetable
Try to limit fruit to only two portions per day, and eat it only with a source of protein.

nlh514 10 years ago

Ossie, I am nearly 70 years old with two health issues: Rheumatoid Arthritis and Leukemia. I weighed 125lbs when I was first diagnosed with RA I have nearly doubled that weight in 22 years. I am 5’2″ tall and take medications that not only cause water retention, but stimulate my appetite (no excuses, I have been eating unhealthy meals and not exercising) I have always been active. In the past year I started an aqua exercise program and recently added weight training and walking. I have to watch my sugar and flour intake as they are both triggers.
My weight goal is 135 lbs.
Thank you for your offer to help with my menu planning.

Hi, SharonMc. Basically, the carbohydrates that are recommended in the program (i.e. in the lighter blue font in the Menu Planner application) are on the lower end of the glycemic index – the program was intentionally designed to be low overall. This is indeed helpful for various metabolic health issues.
The Trim Down Club does not work with calories, but rather with meeting nutritional needs.

Ovive 10 years ago

I like to work with a balance and in gram. it is more precise ….

Now for the protein is ok . I know what is it.. But for Carbs….. I dont know realy . …

Ovive 10 years ago

Very interesting…. that what i want to know!

SharonMc 10 years ago

Ossie,
I know all carbs are not created equally. So when you say 1 gram of protein to 3g carbs do you mean low carbs or high carbs? Potatoes for instance will wreek havoc on the blood sugar where low carbs won’t. Does that matter with this way of eating?

SharonMc 10 years ago

Ossie,
I am 5’7″ 115lbs & walk (@12-15% incline 3.6mph) for an hour 5 or 6 times a week.
I also do light weights and stretches on an exercise ball.
I am trying to build muscle not lose weight. And overall good health is my goal. My dad passed away a few months ago from cancer. He was also diabetic. So I am not waiting for health problems to find me, I want to prevent them!!
Now my daughter wants to lose weight (she’s 19 and a college student who put on 10 lbs) My husband wants to lose fat and build muscle. Would like to cook the same meals for all of us….
Knowing the ratio will be helpful!! Thank you for supplying that information!!
Any other information will be greatly appreciated!!

SharonMc 10 years ago

NLH… I too am interested in low glycemic foods…and I was wondering about the calorie’s in the recipes as well. I am cooking for a family with different health concerns. Knowing the ratio will be helpful.

Hi, nlh514. If you post your height, weight, weight goal, and physical activity level, I can provide a pattern upon which you can build a menu.
This program is designed to guide lifelong healthy eating, and is not a typical diet, which is why it encourages more food than the usual plans you may have seen before. It is recommended not to cut back too much on calories, as it could backfire and ultimately cause weight gain.
I would be happy to work with you to give you tools to design something that will keep you happy and healthy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.