Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
Meagan Lee 10 years ago

Phil,
The advantage of lifting weights for anyone is improved strength, gaining of lean muscle mass for the raising of your metabolism at rest (doing cardio only burns calories while you are doing it, but lifting weights and building lean muscle mass will have you burning calories well after your work out), improved bone density, you can also lift weights in a way that has you doing cardio within your weight training routine… you just reduce the rest in between sets or do super sets (2 different exercises one after the other.

Does that answer your question??

chriscrow 10 years ago

I’ve been going to the fitness ctr. 4 times a week but now going 6 times a week. Seem to need more because I’m losing weight slower. I do cardio every time 30 min. and do resistance and weights on 3 of those days. I have already lost 42 lbs but my trainer says try coming 6 times a wk. I started losing weight since Jan 2013 and I have really done well but seems I am stalling somewhat. I have a lot more muscle and feel terrific. I have always felt I knew a lot about nutrition but my trainer is filling me in on some of the same things being mentioned on this site. Do you think this might be too much exercise? If I feel real tired I will skip a day to recoup but so far it’s OK. I think getting good sleep at night is something that benefits the recovery of muscles and I am doing that. Happy to be talking to others who are working hard as well. I have 100 lbs. to lose and I don’t want to stall my weight loss.

philpayne 10 years ago

Hi Meagan Lee, I lift weights as part of my workout however if you are only after improvimng fitness via cardio workouts what is the advantage of lifting weights?

I currently lift weights as i’m looking to increase muscle mass as well as my fitness.

Regards

Phil.

Meagan Lee 10 years ago

gtft57,
It is a lot of cardio but the TRX added in is a great split. How long have you been doing this combination of exercises?

gtft57 10 years ago

is doing Pilates/jump board twice a week along with rebounder class that is made up of a combination of trampoline and trx enough exercise for a week? Or should I add something else. Each class if 50 minutes.

Meagan Lee 10 years ago

Pondlotus1,
Do not give up! I have many clients with limitations that they never thought they would be able to overcome or work through but they have. My suggestion is to start with something a little more strenuous than your current cardio program like using the elliptical for 10 minutes and see how your body reacts. I would also suggest light weight training to build more lean muscle mass at least 2 times a week.

Are you staying on track with the meal plan?? Consistency is key in both diet and exercise for success in weight loss.

And I am sure your doctor has informed you on properly fitting shoes??

Pondlotus1 10 years ago

Any suggestions for exercise? I’m getting back into it again and feeling frustrated with physical obstacles. I used to walk,swim, cycle, do Pilates/yoga/ T’ai-chi, and lift weights to 6-7 kg. Lost more than 7st but found I couldn’t maintain and began regaining.. Job demands and geography got in the way of getting to my gym. Then my neck and shoulder stopped me swimming, I spent a month on hospital with cellulitis in my leg a year ago and since then I’ve had bouts of vertigo. Weight is now more than when I started. I do get to the pool, where I water walk, jog and dance and i was trying to walk more. Now my GP says I have plantar fascitis (sore heels), Unless I can burn calories by gritting my teeth, I’m out of ideas. (I’m 60, 5’4″ and 270lb.)

Meagan Lee 10 years ago

Danger,
I apologize for the late response. I would suggest that you balance out cardio and weight training. Pilates is great to do 1-2 times a week for core strength and flexibility and body pump 1-2 times a week for cardio and muscular endurance. If you do body pump more than 2 times a week in conjunction with Pilates, cardio (such as being on the treadmill), and weight training, you run a very high risk of over training and then your body will just hold onto the body fat that you wish to get rid of. It is about finding the balance not necessarily about how much you can do during the week. The body needs adequate rest to recover as well.

Danger 10 years ago

hello?

Danger 10 years ago

Also, how often would you suggest I do each. Currently doing one pump class and one pilates. Cardio either as a warm up or on it’s own.

Danger 10 years ago

No, no heart rate testing. Am feeling like I’m running a bit blind with my exercise regime. I used to see a personal trainer weekly – but that was so long ago that I can’t remember where I’m optimal for fat burning. I remember what I *used* to do training wise (ie 1 mile run to gym, do a little more cardio – then lift weights – then run home again – built that up til I was capable of running 10k). However, I’ve never been a particularly slim build – but finding it really a bit of a downer that I’ve not shifted anything. Okay, back on scales today – lost the 2 that I’d gained again. So I’m up and down 2 lbs one week from the next!

Meagan Lee 10 years ago

Danger,
That is a lot of cardio that you are doing. Have you gotten your heart rate tested to see what the optimal heart rate is for you to burn fat??

Your endurance has increased but you want to be able to maximize your time while doing cardio so that you are burning fat the whole time and not muscle.

Pilates and Body pump are great additions for strength training and core training.

Meagan Lee 10 years ago

milowils,
You are doing great! How long have you been walking on the treadmill?

Danger 10 years ago

Hi there,
I’m 42, 5’3″, weight 162 when I first started this diet about three weeks ago. I have been following the diet rather religiously, started back at the gym two weeks ago. So far I gained two pounds, the next week lost four. Then I gained another two.

I work on my feet all day – I’m a dog groomer, so busy lifting and wrestling wriggling dogs all day.

My exercise at the minute is about 4 – 5 days of cardio. I started doing body pump and pilates. I also have a horse which I ride on average 3x a week.

I would like to lose about 30 lbs, and generally increase core strength to improve my riding (I compete dressage).

I’m a little frustrated by the lack of weight loss – but I DO feel like my clothing is getting more comfortable. My energy is better tha it’s been for years. Last week I could only manage about 30 minutes of cardio per session, and for example on the treadmill – mostly walking with the occasional 1 or 2 minute jog. Today I cycled for ten minutes, then x-trainer for ten, then steep incline fast walk followed by a 10 minute jog. Was really pleased to manage to get that length of a run in.

I am really comfortable in the gym, used to do a lot of weight training about 6 years ago – but I’m a bit out of practice and well out of shape. Would like to know if I’m going in the right direction – especially since the scales don’t seem to be!!!

milowils 10 years ago

Hi everyone, I just joined yesterday and brisk walked 30 minutes on my treadmill this morning. I have not started my meal plan yet as i need to go food shopping this weekend to start fresh on monday. Am I doing the right thing? I am 50/210 1bs, 5’4″. I am excited to continue this health and fitness journey!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.