Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
camplaffalot 11 years ago

I did it again! I did it again! I did it again! Excercises! I beez soooo good!

Hugs, (15 reps)
Mary Ellen

tjameson 11 years ago

Hello everyone, I just joined TD today mainly for the nutritional support. I started walking on the treadmill a few weeks ago and haven’t lost a pound. Even with walking @ 3.5 mph and running @ 5.5 mph intermittently for 30-45 minutes per day. Then I watched the video and realized it is possibly my diet. So here I go…wish me luck.

hikerdee 11 years ago

My challenge is doing steps daily until I can do 1,439 steps with ease. I am working up to doing 1,439 a day to be ready to climb the Sydney Harbor bridge on April 4, 2013.
I have a Reebok step and I count off 50 at a time( Right, Left, down, down) and then switch (Left, Right, Down, Down) Now, I take a minute rest between the 50s. I started in October before I joined TrimDown Club.

camplaffalot 11 years ago

I’m taking up the challenge, too! Have managed to do some form of very light exercise for 4 days running. This morning I did my leg exercises and then had my husband haul out the ol’ Magneciser. This is a stationary cycling thingy that sits on the floor and you pedal from your favorite chair. THEN, you put it up on a table and pedal with you arms! Great workout that I learned in cardiac rehab a few years back. I haven’t used it in way too long, so I only did 5 minutes of foot pedaling and 3 minutes of hand pedaling. I am challenging myself to do at least this long every day, very gradually increasing my times and speed.

I’ll report in tomorrow. Meantime, make a great day, my friends!

Hugs (15 reps)
Mary Ellen

Seaborngirl 11 years ago

I thought I should give this a try…a challenge!!! Okay, my challenge is to walk every morning (might not be able on the weekends) after I drop my husband to work for 15 to 30 minutes.

ckay111 11 years ago

Hi group, I am new here (started yesterday) and I’m working through the meal plans trying to make it realistic for me. I have a treadmill buddy and we give each other our stats every day. It helps make it fun and keeps me going. I won’t give up because I think I can outlast him and he wont give up probably for the same reason. This sounds pathetic, but my challenge is to walk 5 minutes a day 5 or 6 days a week, drink water, and try to work my way into the diet plan. 5 minutes sounds laughable, but last week my goal was to wake up, put on my running shoes and stand on the treadmill for a second or two. I have to ease my way into working out becasue I give up easily with stress. even though my goals are tiny, I have yet to just meet them, I have never stood on the machine without walking and I have only done 5 minutes once since I started. I’m doing 10 minutes and by next week I’ll be up to 15. I set my goals low because when I really really dont want to do it, or when I don’t have time, I can always at least walk for 5 minutes without disappointing myself. the last time I was consitent on the treadmill I was running 4mph for about 20 minutes because that’s all the time I have in the mornings. I’ll get there again. Also, I do yoga in the evening. This is an awfully long intro isn’t it 😉

MeguroNick 11 years ago

I really like the comment that was played on one of the TD video clips, paraphrased as; ‘no amount of good exercise can compensate for a poorly nutritional diet’. This was a wake up call for me, as I often thought it was okay to have a few sodas after an hour at the gym. And of course I can eat pizza and pasta after a workout..!! Don’t you remember; I just did an hour at the gym, right…??!! My focus has been too skewered toward exercise and not enough on the foods and drinks I put into my body…TD Club is helping me to make smarter decisions about my nutrition and body! (Come to think of it, I don’t think I have ever written / typed the word nutrition in my life before…!!)

kjbrier123 11 years ago

Yeah, unfortunately my only child is an expatriate. Most of my friends work days and I work nights. So the ‘go with a friend’ doesn’t really work for me. I did join a fitness center but everyone there wants to be left alone. Heavy sigh.

kcox 11 years ago

One thing that has helped me to get motivated is to go with my daughter to the gym. We got a Christmas Gym gift for our whole family. She is learning-just as I am- about how many minutes or hours it takes to walk off just one slice of bread on the treadmill. It makes both of us more aware of what we are putting into our bodies. If you don’t have a daughter or husband, invite a friend. I guarantee it will make it more fun. Start a little friendly competition!

kjbrier123 11 years ago

I had a personal trainer design a work out for me that I can do by myself. He spent one session teaching me the routine and a second session supervising me while I did it. The routine takes approximately 45 minutes and works every muscle group in the body — including core. And, since you do one exercise right after the other, it is also aerobic. I think it is a great investment ($50/hour). My challenge is to actually do the routine every other day, as recommended. I have a problem with motivation. Any suggestions?

Harbourview 11 years ago

Thank you Ossie

Ossie-Sharon 11 years ago

Hi, CrappyCat. Low-impact pilates and/or yoga are probably your best bet, with an instructor at least at the beginning. The only impact exercise considered helpful in these cases would be walting. Major exertion types of exercise (i.e. jumping jacks) are generally not recommended for autoimmune disorders, including yours.

Ossie-Sharon 11 years ago

Suggested exercises for people who have limitations include water aerobics (most popular), as well as pilates-type floor exercises.
For sciatica stretch the affected leg is very important, and too much rest could make it worse. The following are recommended exercises (remember: no bouncing!)
Hamstring Stretch While Lying on the Back
•Lie on the back, supporting the thigh behind the knee with the hand or with a towel, slowly straighten the knee until a stretch is felt in the back of the thigh, trying to get the bottom of the foot to face the ceiling, one leg at a time (Figure 1). Hold the position initially for 10 seconds, and gradually work up to 20-30 seconds.
•Another low stress hamstring stretch is to lie back on the floor with the buttocks against a wall at a corner or by a door jamb. Keeping one leg on the floor, place the foot of the alternate leg against the wall and try to gently push the knee straight so the raised leg and the leg on the floor make a 90 degree angle. Hold the position for 10 to 20 seconds.

Hamstring Stretches While Sitting
Although stretching while in a sitting position is less gentle than lying on the back, hamstring stretches can also be done in a sitting position, where the degree of stretch can be varied based on the placement of the leg:
•While sitting at the edge of a chair, straighten one leg in front of the body with the heel on the floor. Then, sit up straight and try pushing the navel towards the thigh without leaning the trunk of the body forwards. Hold this stretch for 30 seconds, then repeat 3 times for each leg.
•Many people – and especially women – tend to be more flexible and may need to elevate the foot on a stool or chair to get a deep enough stretch.

Once you get some pain relief, you can move on to other low-impact exercises, as are suggested in the Trim Down Club online exercise guide.

crappycat 11 years ago

I would also love to hear suggestions for people who can’t walk much. I am going to try to do a little walking, but my legs are very weak and usually in a lot of pain from Lupus and a neurological problem. I actually managed to do some jumping jacks today. I did 20 and I nearly passed out afterwards. I had to rest and take a nap after! It’s because of my crippling fatigue. I hate it so much!

Harbourview 11 years ago

Hello,
I am 61 years old and am enduring my second lot of Sciatica in a little over a year. I am seriously uncomfortable most of the time. I am sitting side sadle as I type this! Though up until today I was going out for a walk every day, today I have been unable to get out at all. My last bout of sciatica took three months to clear.
What excersises would you recommend for me whilst I cannot walk?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.