Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
TrimDownClub 11 years ago

Healthy Spinach Squares
19 cups (2 bunches) fresh spinach, rinsed and chopped
1 cup SWG (sprouted whole grain) or quinoa flour
1 cup organic skim or raw milk
1 white onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. fresh garlic, chopped
3 omega-3 or free-range eggs
1 cup (8 oz) low-fat feta, raw, or goat cheese
1 tsp. baking powder
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
Place the chopped spinach in a large pot with a steaming apparatus, and fill with water up to the bottom of the apparatus. Steam for about 5-10 minutes, or until wilted and tender but still very green.
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and blend well.
Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish, and bake for 35 minutes.
Cut into 16 squares and serve immediately, or keep well-chilled to reheat as desired.

Per Serving: 1 Carb, 1-2 Protein, 0 Fat
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Difficulty Rating: 1
Serving Size: 1-2 squares
Serves: 8-16

judygab 11 years ago

I would love your recipe for Spinich squares. I make a favorite from a cookbook but would appreciate a healthier version.

judygab 11 years ago

I would love your recipe for Spich squares.

Ossie-Sharon 11 years ago

Yes, there can be substitutions with the menu planner. It is good if you can match the food group and serving size, and best if you can also be sure the substitution is something healthy and not processed. The Trim Down Club is not intended to be overly strict, but it is based on certain health-oriented principles that have been shown to lead to success.
If you have any questions regarding specific substitutions, i.e. how to figure out a portion size, please feel free to ask here.

Hummus is in the legumes category, but it is also a spread, so you can substitute with something like nut butter, or make your own spread with black beans and some seasoning, i.e. a few drops of mild tabasco sauce, depending on your taste.

tnickel 11 years ago

I’m new also, on the 14 day plan when it lists a food (hummus) that you dont care for, can you substitute something else in that same catagory? But then how much do you eat – a serving size?

1/2 oz of nuts is about 2 tablespoons on average. If you need other sizes, you can ask here. The most common question is about meat, seitan, and tofu – 3 oz is about the size of a deck of playing cards, 4 ounces is about the size of the palm of a woman’s hand. For dairy, 8 oz is about a cup.

Cyndy 11 years ago

I am looking at the 14 day menue plan and I see many portions measured in ounces. I don’t have time to measure my food which is one of the reasons this particular food plan appealed to me. Can anyone tell me how many grapes are in a portion and how many cashews are in a 1/2 ounce, etc. There are some that I can extimate pretty well but when it says a 1/2 ouce of something like cashews, pine nuts, I’m assuming there is very little wiggle room for estimating. A huge part of the reason I am overweight in the first place is because my portion sizes are too large. Obviously, half a bag of cashews is too much but if I could just have 1/2 ounce, ther’d be no problem. I need help with what normal poritons look like without the tedious task of weighing everything I eat.

Tomato Broccoli Cheesy Potato Bake

What you need
3 lbs. potatoes, thinly sliced
1½ cups broccoli chopped
8 eggs
1 large tomato, chopped
2 tbsp. raw butter
1 onion, chopped
1½ cups raw milk
4 tsp. rice flour
1 cup cottage cheese
1 cup raw cheese
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. raw milk

What you need to do
Preheat your oven to 350°F. In a 3-quart baking dish, arrange the potatoes in a neat layer and top them with the chopped broccoli. In a bowl, whisk the eggs and season with pepper and salt as desired. Pour onto the potato layers. Add the chopped tomatoes.
In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for about 3 minutes until skin turns translucent. Stir in the milk and flour; cook for 2 minutes, then add the cheese. Stir to blend well. Turn off the heat and pour this mixture over the potato, broccoli, egg, and tomato layers. Place the baking dish in the preheated oven, cover with foil, and bake for approximately 55 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes or so before serving.

Per Serving: 1-2 Carb, 1 Protein, 1 Fat
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 55 minutes
Difficulty Rating: 1
Serving size: 4-8 oz.
Serves: 9-16

judygab 11 years ago

Can you tell me where to find the Tomato Broccoli cheesy potato bake recipe? I tried to, but too many pages.

DEFINITELY move the extra morning food to the afternoon when you’re most hungry, so you don’t get into trouble at dinner, and especially so you don’t suffer. The foods I’d suggest to keep in the morning would be the oatmeal/milk, fruit, and egg – basically, sources of fiber and protein. As long as you get plenty first thing in the day, you can switch the actual foods around however best suits your taste.

ARocky 11 years ago

I am having trouble finishing breakfast as well. I start at 7:20 and am still grabbing bites between working at 11:00a.m. I usually don’t fit the a.m. snack in till lunch or after lunch. What are the most important foods to steady blood sugar and what could I cut? Here’s my list: 1 1/2 c oatmeal (cooked in milk), 1 c veggie salad, 6 oz greek yogurt, 1/2 oz nuts, serving fruit, boiled egg.
Also, b/c I get home so late for dinner, I am really hungry around 4 pm and the afternoon snack isn’t enough to hold me till dinner. What should I do with this? Thanks

TrimDownClub 11 years ago

Cristina, someone from our technical support staff will get back to you shortly.

Cristina 11 years ago

Where do you enter your weight goal?

After you enter your weight and goal information and then choose items from the food lists in the Menu Planner, you should receive a menu that takes into account your needs. You should then feel free to eat those items. It will probably look like more food than the usual restrictive diet, but ultimately less than you were eating when you gained weight in the past. If you feel like physically you can’t finish everything, than no pressure – as long as the way you choose to eat is comfortable for you. That’s the way to diet!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.