Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
MichelleLee63 5 years ago

Hi Suzyjay – not sure exactly where you are in mid-north UK, but I found a great little shop at the weekend (http://www.beanieswholefoods.co.uk) on the north side of Sheffield. It is a workers co-operative (not a big chain store) and sources a lot of fresh veg from local producers.

Ossie-Sharon 5 years ago

Hi, SuzyJay. If it says “cooked,” then it is after cooking.

SUZYJAY 5 years ago

Thanks Sharon,
I have another question – I may have missed some notes somewhere but when the rice in the menu says 1 cup cooked – 1) Is it 1 cup before cooking then cook or 1 cup measured after cooking?

SUZYJAY 5 years ago

Thank you MichelleLee63
That is a great help. I felt silly for asking but if you don’t ask ??
I’ve noticed a couple of local shops are now displaying carrots and beetroot with the foliage and it looks quite edible. Think I’ll give the sprouted flour and bread a miss.

Ossie-Sharon 5 years ago

Hi, Suzyjay (and thanks, MichelleLee!). Food For Life UK also sells sprouted grain products: https://www.foodforlifeuk.com/

MichelleLee63 5 years ago

Hi Suzyjay, I am from mid UK as was having similar problems. Beansprouts are sprouted mung beans (usually)and the bread flours referred to are flour made from grains that have been sprouted in a similar way. However the only place I have found that stocks SWG (Sprouted Whole Grain) flour is Sainsbury’s. It is a “Rude Health” product and is £10 per kilo (10 times the price of pure wholemeal flour).TDC do offer reduced price membership to an online retailed (Thrive Market). I had a look and it seems they have a UK branch, but you are not allowed to see the price list until you pay to become a member, so I decided to leave it for now. If you buy bread rather than baking your own I am not sure who sells SWG bread.
Beet Greens are the leaves from the top of a beetroot (I use them on salad when I grow beetroot in the garden, but have not tried buying them). The beetroot need to be picked quite young if you are using the leaves (normally 1st and second thinning from the row). I have never tried carrot greens,

SUZYJAY 5 years ago

Maybe being from the mid north of UK my understanding is different to USA, I know what Brussel Sprouts and Beansprouts are. But to see that whilst looking through the bread assortments I saw that my choice of Super Seeded Bread said (sprouted)? I think the comment of ROOTS – ref Beet Greens and Carrot greens means the greenery shoots/leaves? If some kind person could please help this simple UK oldy. Thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.