Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
lucindalee44 10 years ago

Hi, being overweight is akin to supplying goods. The muscles are the consumer. When they demand energy (product) the shop (body) supplies it. When the demand from the consumer is low (not buying the product) the shop is over stocked so it is returned to a Factory (under the skin) as FAT. When the consumer buys again the shop supplies it & when it runs out of the product (energy) it requests a new delivery from the factory! So if you meet the demand with over-eating or energy drinks it will not require requisition from the Factory. This is why so many people train but do not lose weight! You are getting fitter (well done) and the more muscle you build the more you demand energy even when sleeping (eventually losing weight) but unless you eat healthy or reduce the amounts of sugar, glucose or bad fats from your diet whilst training you will never empty the factory.

5k does not require any special training diet other than being healthy as above nor does it make you more hungry. Just eat normally, healthy and drink lots of water!

I have run a marathon and 5ks and am always surprised by the amount of people taking energy gels and drinks, these are exceptionally dangerous and bad for you as well as making your blood sugar levels raise and drop. Refrain from these products if you wish to train well, feel well and reduce unhealthy fats.

Good luck.

tmontgomery 10 years ago

Thank you @hikerdee
Yes, I have a plan to train for my first 5K. Its going to take 12 weeks according to this website I found on “How To Train for a 5K”
Congrats to your 5K finish. I hope to lose some of the weight before hand. I am running one Oct 5th and one on Oct 27th. I will be turning 40 in November and a 5K is on my Bucket List at age 40… LOL
Well, yes I started to create my menu options on this site and even though I picked the foods I like I find it off that they would group some of these foods together for one of my breakfast menus. I am not sure why anyone would eat the combination it gave me, but I will have to use these options as a guide. LOL

Thank you for reaching out to me.

hikerdee 10 years ago

Just to brag a bit, I had not raced in 4 years but I prepared in 12 weeks for this race. I came in 4th in my age division (women 60-64) with a chip time of 41:07, and I am still 50 pounds above my goal weight. I’m writing this to encourage you to train according to a plan and run your own race, no matter what your current weight is at the time of the race! Best of luck to you.

hikerdee 10 years ago

Stick to your menu plan, and that will seem hard enough to do because you will “think and justify” going off plan “since I will be burning more calories while I start training.”
Stay well hydrated with the recommended daily 10 cups of water since thirst is often disguised as hunger.
I have the best results when I stick to breakfast of oatmeal and flaxseed prepared with milk; a snack of my fruit and 1 oz of nuts within 15 minutes after the run. Stick to the timing of meals 2.5-3 hours apart throughout the rest of the day. I also find that putting up to 3 cups of romaine lettuce on my plate before I add the protein (usually 3 ounces of turkey, tuna, or salmon) and carbohydrate (usually 1/2 cup of rice, sweet potato, or potato) to my plate makes me believe there is plenty of good food on my plate for the two other main meals. The other thing is that I hope you have a training plan for your first 5K run. If you don’t try googling “Hal Higdon” and training for first 5K. He was a senior writer for Runner’s World magazine.
Best of luck to you.

tmontgomery 10 years ago

I just started and my goal is to participate in my first 5K run in October. However, since Iam over weight my goal is drastic to loose about 60 pounds. I have done this before in just 4 months. However, I want to do it the right way.
Is there any advice on certain foods to eat and not to eat since I will be burning more calories while I start training today? I head I have to eat like a lot of calories but not really sure what’s true.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.