Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
snoopyplaysbass 10 years ago

bufight,
You can find calculators by using “calories burned during weight lifting calculator” on your search, but how these models are designed, I don’t know. I do know that, as I am gearing up for grad school and am currently studying predictive applied modeling, these calculators will probably be approximations at best. Some ask you to enter sex, height, weight, age, etc. but some weightlifters eat a pre-workout meal to boost their metabolism. And a person’s metabolism varies throughout the day. And, even though two women may be of the same age, weight, and height, will they also have the same lengths of bones in their arms? A slightly longer forearm length will require that the dumbbell be moved through a slightly longer arc (requiring more energy to do so) and will all of the reps be moving the weight exactly the same distance? I find myself sometimes fogging up toward the end of a lifting session and just want to get done and my form is the last thing on my mind!(You see where I’m going with this, yes?)So, yes, there are calculators out there, but I would not get too focused on counting calories. Part of the appeal of Trimdown for me was the de-emphasis on counting calories and learning to eat healthy (and tasty!) things to lose weight (have you tried the lemon-cottage cheese mini-muffins yet? My wife and love them!)

bufight 10 years ago

Yes – agree. I was just wondering about it because when I do cardio I try to keep my my heart rate at about 80% of my max heart rate. I noticed that when I lift, especially circuit training, that I can also get my heart rate to about 80% of my max heart rate as well.

bonitag 10 years ago

I’m lifting weights and not counting calories so I’m just doing it to feel better! I’ll be waiting for some one to answer your question!! Just remember we are not counting calories anymore!!!!

bufight 10 years ago

Anyone know of a good way to calculate the amount of calories one burns when lifting weights? Thanks.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.