Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
eebutin 11 years ago

Thanks for your swift reply. The day I’d calculated the 2300 had the banana, berry oats recipe; tasty, but 2 cups was a lot for me to eat and knda high in kcal. Since that day, I eat one cup rather than two. You’re right, I’ll start halving some of the larger items. I also plan to swap the am snack and the afternoon snack since I work out in the afternoons and am usually ravenous after.

I’ll go online tonight to find the coconut and monk fruit sugars. They sound great.

This program interested me most because I’d developed some bad eating habits during pregnancy and needed some help breaking them.

Thanks again!

Ossie-Sharon 11 years ago

Hi again. I did the calculation, but it came out to just under 2000 calories, not 2300 (though I assumed you were using low-fat dairy). If you are indeed working out for an hour nearly every day, these should fit you. On days that you are not working out, or if you are losing less than a pound a week, you can try cutting back a little. In the example you posted, I would right-size the day by eating only one (1) portion each of the black bean recipes. By the way, the alternative meal you posted looks great.
Yes, the ratios are intended to be the same each day, about 1 gram fat to 1.5-2 grams protein to 2.5-3 grams carbohydrates.
Regarding you earlier question about sweeteners, the issue about sugar is what it does to your metabolism, and the fact that it can add up at the end of the day without contributing real nutrition. If you don’t like the aftertaste of Stevia, another non-caloric natural alternative is monk fruit sweetener, which has somewhat less of an aftertaste. Xylitol has 2/3 the calories of sugar, with the same taste and usage, but does not impact your teeth, blood sugar, or liver. If you really want sugar, the best of the best is organic coconut sugar (no coconut taste) – provides a few minerals, is good for the digestive system, and has much less of an impact on blood sugar and liver.

eebutin 11 years ago

Wow, I truly am impressed, and sincerely hope you get time for yourself, too.
I’m 5′ 6″, and the weight seems to fluctuate between 136 and 138 lbs day to day. Not overweight, but have some really stubborn belly fat from pregnancies. I don’t even want to lose too much, but, up until baby two, I always weighed 132. At my fittest it was128, but that required more strength training than I want, or have time to do.

One of my questions is: are the carb/protein/ fat ratios the same for each meal or snack or is it each day? I’ve wanted to mix things up at some meals, but didn’t know if it would then throw off the whole day. Ex: dinner on following menu we’d have grass-fed beef burgers with feta cheese, no bun, a green salad, and white potatoes.
Breakfast
1 serving of Healthy Veggie Quiche
1 cup of Milk (organic), skim
1 cup of Raspberries
Snack #1
1 cup of Tea, Herbal
1/4 cup of Raw Granola with Yogurt
1/2 ounce of Almonds
1/4 cup of Raisins
Lunch
1 cup of Steamed Vegetables
2 servings of Black Bean SWG Burrito Pockets
1 ounce of Goat Cheese, semi and hard
Snack #2
1/2 Banana
Dinner
2 slices of Chicken & Black Bean Quesadilla
1 cup of Carrots
2 Tbsps of Low-Fat Sour Cream
Snack #3
1/4 cup of Raw Granola
Wednesday

Sorry this was so long winded. Thanks for your help!

If you would like to post your height and current weight, as well as a sample day the Menu Planner gave you, I can do a quick evaluation for you.

Hi. Yes, I am currently the only nutritionist here, but it is good for continuity! The menu portions are calculated according to what your needs would be if you were at your goal weight, with some extra worked in assuming you will eventually become more active, and most importantly, what is recommended for you to get the required vitamins and minerals and enough protein for your current weight. As you continue, an equation will be added for physical activity.

eebutin 11 years ago

I’m starting to understand that, but how are the menu portions calculated? I don’t really recall putting in any info on activity level. Did I miss something? Also, are you the only nutritionist on Trim Down responding to these threads? I hope you get time to sleep.

The program does not work with calories, but rather with meeting your nutritional needs. In the future, there will be information published regarding the number of carbs, proteins, and fats in the recipes and basic menu patterns. It is very important to get used to making healthy choices and watching portions than focusing on numbers. This is a major theme in the program reading materials.

eebutin 11 years ago

Glad to hear this program is working for people. I’m only in my first week, but am feeling a bit skeptical. Does anyone else find it a bit disconcerting that none of the recipes have nutrition information, despite being developed by nutritionists? Today, prior to starting my plan for the day I tallied the number of kcal because the past couple of days have seemed like a lot of food (eating at 94% healthy). It came in at 2300. That seems like an awful lot for a 30 yo woman w/sedentary work, who does moderate to strenuous exercise 1 hr, 6 days per week. Also, what’s with all the stevia? Since when is organic or raw sugar scary? I get that stevia has 0 kcal, but it’s expensive, has an aftertaste, and seems too good to be true.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.