Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
Ossie-Sharon 11 years ago

Hi, Jacb. Stevia was approved in South Africa last September. This is a link to online purchase http://www.faithful-to-nature.co.za/Health-Connection-Stevia-Herbal-Liquid-Sweetener-p-832.html.
The following product originated in South Africa – Miraculin (species Synsepalum dulcificum, also known as Afrinatural) – see if you can find it.
Xylitol is not non-caloric, but it does have 1/3 less energy than sugar and none of the negative effects, but with the same taste. The following is a South African shopping link http://www.delitefoods.co.za/index.php?cPath=59.

Jacb 11 years ago

Hallo, Newbie to group. I take 3 ts suggar in coffe/tea and over my breakfast cereals (a lot). What is the substitute for sugar in South Africa. We do not have Stevia or the others mentioned. We do have sweeteners, but now I cannot even remember to different brands as I have never used them.

Erythritol is not so much a concern (it is also present in monkfruit sweetener, which we have suggested non-caloric sweetener), but rather the processing of Stevia in Truvia’s production.

ARocky 11 years ago

Truvia’s first ingredient is erythritol — a sugar alcohol. It also contains Stevia. Does the first ingredient make this a no-go?

True, most honey is not processed, but it is a source of sugar – and therefore recommended in moderation.

Christine 11 years ago

What is your take on honey? Is it ok to use since its not processed?

We don’t recommend Splenda because it is essentially artificial (even though it is “based on real sugar”). If you use one packet a day, that won’t hurt, but we prefer natural substances such as Stevia, xylitol, and monkfruit sweetener (the last two have the least aftertaste).

Melissa 11 years ago

As far as sweetners go, I’ve been using Splenda. Is that okay? And should I limit the amount per day?

Melissa 11 years ago

As far as Sweetners go, I’ve been using Splenda. Is that okay? And is there a limited amount per day?

1/8 tsp. raw Stevia is equal to 3/8 tsp. processed (1/2 packet), equal to 1 tsp. sugar.

Ginny 11 years ago

I have never used the powder but I am going to assume it is a bit more concentrated in sweetness compared to the processed or is my assumption wrong? If the powdered form is sweeter that what would the substitution rate be? e.g a teaspoon of powder would equal what iof the sweetener? thanks for your help

Yes, the green is preferrable – it is just ground up leaves, no processing or artifical co-sweeteners or fillers.

Ginny 11 years ago

Thank you I am aware that stevia is an herb what I quess I am asking is stevia powder different from the processed white stevia sweetener. I know there are 2 forms of stevia the white which is processed and I have heard of a powder I have never seen it and can the stevis sweetner be used in place of the powder

Stevia is the name of the plant itself. Whether or not the powder is raw or processed will be indicated on the package. Sweet Leaf is for sure unprocessed, Truvia is processed.

Ginny 11 years ago

Is stevia powder a raw form of stevia? I have what is called stevia in the raw but it is processed to a white form similar to sugar and is much lighter weight wise can I substitute that for the powder or is what I have what you consider the powder? Thanks for the milk list I found a farm close by. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.