Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
TrimDownClub 11 years ago

Monkfruit is a recently tapped fruit from the far east, discovered to be many times sweeter than sugar. There is a brand that markets monkfruit powder as is, and another product called Nectresse (easier to find) that combines it with a natural non-caloric sugar alcohol called erythritol. In addition to being sweet without the detriments of sugar and artificial sweeteners, monkfruit has been associated with beneficial health properties.
I have been involved in reviewing Stevia studies. Most are favorable, while there are a few conducted in rodents that noted a decline in certain markers of fertility – however, complaints of this nature have not been noted in humans (just fears and some misguided use as a contraceptive), even though Stevia has been widely used for decades in western countries. You can find studies on PubMed.

japaez7977 11 years ago

YOU SAY THAT STEVIA IS SAFE TO USE. HAVE ANY OF YOUR NUTRITIONALISTS DONE ANY STUDIES ON STEVIA. I’D REALLY LIKE TO KNOW JUST FOR MY OWN INFORMATION, AND ALSO WHERE I COULD LOOK UP THE INFORMATION. MANY THANKS AGAIN, JACKIE

japaez7977 11 years ago

THANK YOU ABOUT CAROB INSTEAD OF CHOCOLATE. NO PARTICULAR REASON FOR USING CAROB AT THIS TIME.

WHAT IS MONKFRUIT?????

THANKS AGAIN, JACKIE

Ossie-Sharon 11 years ago

Carob is often used as a chocolate substitute. Is there a special reason you need one?

Ossie-Sharon 11 years ago

Stevia is generally considered safe, but if you are concerned, you can try xylitol or monkfruit sweetener.

brmiciak 11 years ago

Stevia is safe to use.

japaez7977 11 years ago

I AM A NEW MEMBER OF THE TRIM CLUB. I HAVE SEEN THIS SWEETENER USED IN YOUR RECIPES AND I AM CONCERNED. I HAVE READ SEVERAL ARTICLES IN HEALTH MAGAZINES AND ELSEWHERE STATING THAT THIS SWEETENER CAN CAUSE KIDNEY PROBLEMS. I AM 78 YEARS OLD WITH KIDNEYS THAT ARE JUST “OK”. I AM RELUCTANT TO USE STEVIA SWEETENER. WHAT DO YOUR STUDIES SHOW??? IS THERE AN ALTERNATE SWEETENER THAT CAN BE USED AND STILL REMAIN WITHIN THE PROGRAM GUIDELINES? I HAVE HEARD ABOUT AGAVE SYRUP. DO YOU HAVE INFORMATION ON THIS PRODUCT AND WILL IT WORK WITHIN YOUR PROGRAM GUIDELINES??
WHAT CAN I USE AS A CHOCOLATE SUBSTITUTE? I.E. FOR COOKING AND BAKING. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP.
JACKIE PAEZ

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.