Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Ossie-Sharon 10 years ago

Hi, Beth. Spelt is a great option for bread.

Beth1029 10 years ago

Is spelt flour recommended for bread?

Ossie-Sharon 11 years ago

Hi, Kimmy. Some of these products are indeed found at Walmart – here is your almond flour, for example http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bob-s-Red-Mill-Almond-Meal-from-Blanched-Whole-Almonds-Flour-16-oz/12018295.

Kimmy75 11 years ago

I am a new member to this diet plan and wanting to know where can I find almond flour. I am a single mother of two small kids and on a budget. Can you find these at walmart?

Agave is not recommended (other than raw) – it was just noted here that it is preferable over turbinado. To clarify the following the sweeteners that we recommend:
Non-caloric: Stevia, xylitol, monkfruit
Caloric: coconut sugar

isyp 11 years ago

Agave? I thought Agave was heavily processed and just as bad as High Fructose Corn Syrup. If you do a search on Dr Mercola’s site, you will see how bad it truly is. I am so surprised it is recommended.

Xylitol powder is available at Whole Foods. Truvia is a processed version of Stevia – we prefer unprocessed, but it is still better than a completely artifical sweetener. We also suggest monkfruit sweetener (marketed as Nectress), also available at Whole Foods.

MRH 11 years ago

Where can I get xylitol? Also I’m having trouble locating stevia in a powder but I have found it in liquid. It Truvia ok? That’s what the store clerk recommended.

Agave is preferable over turbinado, but keep in mind that it is still a source of sugar.

MRH 11 years ago

What about tubinado sugar or agave or something like that. I’m trying to find something that I can buy at sprouts or trader joes that I can replace for sugar in everyday recipes like Banana bread lets say when I make it for the kids.

Alternatives recommended by the program include xylitol and monkfruit sweetener, both of which are available in powder form. I find that 1/4 tsp monkfruit sweetener is equivalent to about a teaspoon of sugar, but you can test either sweetener out on something you would normally sweeten with sugar, and see what you think the ratio would be.
There are several good flours to use for breads. The first and easiest is sprouted whole grain, of course, and then whole wheat, spelt, rye, buckwheat, and brown rice flours. In addition to these and quinoa flour, you can also find chickpea and potato flours in health-oriented markets.

MRH 11 years ago

Is there an alternative to stevia that is acceptable for recipes? Also if I’m looking to make my own breads and recipes what’s the best flour to use? I see some recipes you have call for quinoa flour are there any others?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.