Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Ossie-Sharon 9 years ago

Hi, mfalantine0. Here you go! Some simple tips, then mini-lists of high-sodium foods and alternatives by food group – rest assured that there is total overlap between the recommended alternatives and the principles of the Trim Down Club program:
GENERAL GUIDELINES FOR CUTTING DOWN ON SODIUM
• Eliminate salty foods from your diet and reduce the amount of salt used in cooking. Sea salt is no better than regular salt.
• Choose low sodium foods. Many salt-free or reduced salt products are available. When reading food labels, low sodium is defined as 140 mg of sodium per serving.
• Salt substitutes are sometimes made from potassium, so read the label. If you are on a low potassium diet, then check with your doctor before using those salt substitutes.
• Be creative and season your foods with spices, herbs, lemon, garlic, ginger, vinegar and pepper. Remove the salt shaker from the table.
• Read ingredient labels to identify foods high in sodium. Items with 400 mg or more of sodium are high in sodium. High sodium food additives include salt, brine, or other items that say sodium, such as monosodium glutamate (MSG). MSG may be a particular problem as it has been found to contribute to a risk factor for weight gain.
• Eat more home-cooked meals. Foods cooked from scratch are naturally lower in sodium than most instant and boxed mixes.
• Don’t use softened water for cooking and drinking since it contains added salt.
• Avoid medications which contain sodium such as Alka Seltzer and Bromo Seltzer.
• For more information; food composition books are available which tell how much sodium is in food. Online sources such as http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list also list amounts.
HIGH-SODIUM FOODS AND ALTERNATIVES (BY FOOD GROUP)
Meats, Poultry, Fish, Legumes, Eggs and Nuts
High-Sodium Foods:
• Smoked, cured, salted or canned meat, fish or poultry including bacon, cold cuts, ham, frankfurters, sausage, sardines, caviar and anchovies
• Frozen breaded meats and dinners, such as burritos and pizza
• Canned entrees, such as ravioli, spam and chili
• Salted nuts
• Beans canned with salt added
Low-Sodium Alternatives:
• Any fresh or frozen beef, lamb, pork, poultry and fish
• Eggs and egg substitutes, particularly pastured
• Low-sodium peanut butter (or make your own by grinding unsalted roasted peanuts for about 12 minutes)
• Dry peas and beans (not canned, or low-sodium canned)
• Drained, water-packed (low-sodium) canned fish
Dairy Products
High-Sodium Foods:
• Buttermilk
• Regular and processed cheese, cheese spreads and sauces
• Cottage cheese
Low-Sodium Alternatives (preferably organic pastured):
• Milk, yogurt, ice cream and ice milk
• Low-sodium cheeses, cream cheese, ricotta cheese and mozzarella
Breads, Grains and Cereals
High-Sodium Foods:
• Bread and rolls with salted tops
• Quick breads, self-rising flour, biscuit, pancake and waffle mixes
• Pizza, croutons and salted crackers
• Prepackaged, processed mixes for potatoes, rice, pasta and stuffing
Low-Sodium Alternatives (preferably whole grain):
• Breads, bagels and rolls without salted tops, with less than 140 mg sodium per piece
• Muffins and most ready-to-eat cereals
• All rice and pasta, but do not to add salt when cooking
• Corn and flour tortillas and noodles
• Low-sodium crackers and breadsticks
• Unsalted popcorn, chips and pretzels
Vegetables and Fruits
High-Sodium Foods:
• Regular canned vegetables and vegetable juices
• Olives, pickles, sauerkraut and other pickled vegetables
• Vegetables made with ham, bacon (even artificial), or salted pork
• Packaged mixes, such as scalloped or au gratin potatoes, frozen hash browns and Tater Tots
• Commercially prepared pasta and tomato sauces and salsa
Low-Sodium Alternatives:
• Fresh and frozen vegetables without sauces
• Low-sodium canned vegetables, sauces and juices
• Fresh potatoes, frozen French fries and instant mashed potatoes
• Low-salt tomato or V-8 juice.
• Most fresh, frozen and canned fruit
• Dried fruits
Soups
High-Sodium Foods:
• Regular canned and dehydrated soup, broth and bouillon
• Cup of noodles and seasoned ramen mixes
Low-Sodium Alternatives:
• Low-sodium canned and dehydrated soups, broth/stock and bouillon
• Homemade soups without added salt
Fats, Desserts and Sweets
High-Sodium Foods:
• Soy sauce, seasoning salt, most other sauces and marinades (check the label)
• Bottled salad dressings, regular salad dressing with bacon bits
• Salted butter or margarine
• Instant pudding and cake
• Large portions of ketchup, mustard (small amounts are fine)
Low-Sodium Alternatives:
• Vinegar, unsalted butter or margarine
• Good oils (i.e. extra-virgin olive, flaxseed, chiaseed) and low sodium sauces and salad dressings
• Mayonnaise made with good oils
• All desserts made without salt

mfalatine0 9 years ago

Thanks for the excellent info! Yes, I would that list if you have one easily available. Thanks!!

Ossie-Sharon 9 years ago

Hi, mfalatine0, and welcome! We don’t write sodium levels because part of the major idea of this site is to limit sodium in foods – if you don’t buy prepared foods (or if so, only low-sodium) and cook whole, unrefined foods and watch for sodium content <140 mg on labels as we recommend, you will be fine. Note most of the recipes say salt or substitute to taste (if your kidneys are fine, you may do well with a potassium-based substitute to help with diuresis, but check with your doctor). In any event, only if you intentionally add to your menu salty foods, such as those listed for you on materials you hopefully received from a dietitian upon discharge (if you don't have such a list, please let me know, and I will get you set up) will you exceed 1500 at your menu level.

mfalatine0 9 years ago

Howdy everyone. I am new to this site and forum so forgive a repeat question. I recently had bypass surgery and am still in congestive heart failure. So, I need to keep the sodium level under 1500 mg per day. Do the recipes on this site have sodium per serving amounts or is that something I will need to figure out myself?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.