Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Ossie-Sharon 11 years ago

Hi, Annette. Try to let him pick the foods, and go from there. Each time you go to the grocery store, have him pick a new healthy food to try – it doesn’t have to be perfect, just a little better that what he’s eating now, with continuous small improvements along the way. Eventually, he will add to his repertoire.
Having said that, there are ways to incorporate healthy foods into what he’s eating now – for example, instead of 100% whole grain pasta, rice, or flour, start with 1/4 whole grain added to 3/4 white, and very slowly up the percent; same thing for “cutting” mashed potatoes with pureed cauliflower, etc. Take advantage of the fact that ketchup and marinara sauce are great sources of “vegetable,” as is watermelon, etc. Nuts and seeds can count in a pinch. Don’t forget smoothies.
Also, try to see if you can enlist support from his surroundings, i.e. friends and their parents, other caretakers, etc., who may help make his gradual transition to healthier eating easier.
This program is all about gradual changes anyway, because those are the ones that stick.

Annette421 11 years ago

How can I stick to my diet when I am living with my seven year old son who hates vegetables and only a few fruits but only wants to eat junk food…I want to change these habits for us but where do I begin????

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.