Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Ossie-Sharon 11 years ago

Substituting with regular foods instead of organic or raw shold not have too much of an impact on your weight loss if you stick to the pattern of the menu planner int terms of amounts of foods that fit your activity level. Staying active also helps.
If you can find fresh foods, that would still be better over processed, even if they are not organic.

Lynn 11 years ago

HI I’m a new member and I too am finding the raw ingredients difficult to find and understand. Added to that is the problem I work away from home in remote isolated communities where a lot of these products are just not available. if I substitute normal processed foods for organic or raw until I go home will this stop me from losing weight altogether?

Raw dairy is dairy that has not been heat-pasturized. It is believed that this preserves the true nutritional value of milk, cheese, etc.
Raw granola is granola made from natural ingredients that have not been processed or heated above 120 degrees Fahrenheit (50 Celsius). It can be made at home.

Chubby 11 years ago

What is raw cheese and raw granola?

Even where legal, raw dairy products are rarely found in stores, even health-oriented stores. The following is a link to find them in your area: http://www.realmilk.com/where-other.html#can. Having said that, we certainly would not want you to risk anything, so substituting with organic is absolutely fine.
Raw granola is something you can make at home if you can’t find it:
Homemade Granola Cereal Recipe
3½ cups regular organic oats (not instant)
½ cup chopped walnuts, raw or oven-toasted
½ cup sliced almonds, raw or oven-toasted
½ cup wheat germ
½ cup seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, flax)
½ cup chopped organic dried fruit and/or raisins
1 tsp. almond or walnut extract
¼ cup canola, almond, or hazelnut oil
⅓ cup honey
½ tsp. cinnamon (optional)
What you need to do
Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray.
In a large bowl, mix together nuts, seeds, wheat germ, and dried fruit (as well as cinnamon, if desired).
In a small saucepan over low heat, add oil, honey, and flavor extract, and cook until liquid in consistently. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Spread a ½-inch thick layer of the mixture onto the cookie sheet. Bake in oven at 50°C (120°F) with the oven door slightly ajar (for airflow) for about 45 minutes, until golden brown, then mix and turn the granola, and continue baking for about 45 minutes.
If you don’t mind it being “raw” by definition, you can bake at 325°F for 10 minutes on each side.

smcdonald624 11 years ago

how do I make raw granola? they don’t really give a recipe that I can see .. maybe I need to look more?

smcdonald624 11 years ago

I tried to purchase raw milk etc but every store says its not legal .. I live in toronto .. where can I purchase raw milk in toronto? It’s frustrating because your recipes either ask for raw milk, raw butter or raw cottage cheese… is there any other type of milk, butter or cheese that can be used as an alternative in the recipes?

Unprocessed cheeses are fine.

Valerie 11 years ago

what’s an alternative for raw cheese.

These items are available in health-oriented stores, including chains like Whole Foods and Trader Joes. Most of the grains are cooked like rice, and the soy products come ready-to-eat or frozen to be reheated. Nearly all are featured in our recipes (see “Downloads” above).
If you cannot find them and/or prefer to stay on the familiar, just be sure to go with whole grains, including 100% whole grain bread (before to look for the 100% on the bread).
We suggest these foods beecause they best support healthy weight loss, but they are not the only helpful items. The goal is to be healthy and enjoy yourself.
If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask here – we are at your service.

chickaroo 11 years ago

I just joined and have been reading the Express Meal booklet. I don’t understand the lack of directions or the types of foods listed. I have never seen or eaten soybeans, edemame, Kamut or SWG bread to name just a few. I don’t know how to prepare or where to buy these items. I live in rural area and my local store will not carry all these things. Did I make a mistake in joining?

“Uncooked” in parentheses next to a food item does indeed mean to measure it before cooking – not that you are supposed not to cook it.
Raw dairy is unpasturized dairy – there is some evidence that this form may preserve more of milk’s natural nutritional benefit. On the other hand is the concern that it is not safe – for this reason, it is recommended to buy it only from specialty sellers and under certain conditions. However, organic is also OK. If you are still interested in raw dairy, please let us know here, and we will give you a link to find sellers. If you are immune compromised in any way, this is probably not an option for you.

patruckle@net-change.com 11 years ago

what is meant by “uncooked” in parenthesis next to a food item? Is it the mearsure before cooking or am I suppose to NOT cook it, such as oatmeal. And what is meant by “raw” in parenthesis next to diary items usch as Cottage Cheese? Surely it doesn’t mean unpasturized fo I didn’t think that was safe.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.