Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Ossie-Sharon 11 years ago

Hi, Christina. If you are going to go with pasteurized dairy, organic is best – the issue is not the nutritional content, but rather the use of antibiotics, growth hormones, and pesticides in the cow feed. If you have faith in the agricultural oversight where you live, then low-fat or skim is best for your dieting efforts.

Christina 11 years ago

I have an additional question related to this topic. I live in Canada and federal regulations do not allow farmers to use growth hormones in farm animals, and in the case of chickens, they’re not allowed to use additional hormones. And raw milk is not legal in my province. SOOOOO…can I use regular low-fat milk products (including filtered milk) instead of organic? Studies in Canada have found that there isn’t much in the way of nutritional difference between organic and regular milk, at least in our food chain. The same question would apply to all dairy products. Organic can be 2-3 times the price here. I understand that it may be the healthier option, but since we do not have the same out of control content allowed in our food chain in Canada, I’m wondering if there’s a bit more flexibility on the use of raw vs. regular dairy & meat products. Thanks for your assistance.

Products such as Stevia syrup and SWG goods are available in health-oriented stores, including large chains such as Whole Foods and Trader Joes.

dcox54 11 years ago

I have never seen Stevia syrup or SWG bread/crackers in any of our stores. What are they? Would a health food store have them?

Deborah

Organic skim or lowfat dairy is definitely a good alternative to raw here. Canned products are generally acceptable – if they are not reduced sodium or no-added-salt, then leave out the added salt in the recipes (and of course, be sure to drain them before use).

bobbie 11 years ago

finding raw milk and cheese is almost unrealistic in our community. can use of lowfat or 1% be incorporated beneficially and effectively? we also have a cupboars called our bomb sheltere that is filled with canned tomatoes and veggis. soups also. if using these is the ratio different?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.