Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
mcheree23 11 years ago

I also stayed active during my pregnancy. Of course not as active as before I became pregnant. In all actuality I gained most of my weight post pregnancy. Which is pretty sad. My biggest problem is i don’t have as much time to do all the things I want to as far as fitness. My living situation doesn’t really go hand in hand with also having a 9 month old. I have lost about 15 lbs and now I am at a plateau. I am hoping this program can help. I have heard the key to losing weight depends on 80% of what you consume. I believe it! I have my fingers crossed this will work!!

nettienielson 11 years ago

I have an 18 month old. I had no problem losing the weight because I have always been very active, but I think the main thing that helped was the fact that I stayed very active WHILE I was pregnant, so I prevented myself from gaining too much weight. I know this may not help anyone who HAS gained excess weight, but it’s a good point of advice for people who have just gotten pregnant or plan to. You CAN safely exercise while pregnant and you do NOT need to eat for two!! Stay active and keep your calorie count the same, and you will stay lean and still have a big, healthy baby. I gained the normal 25 lbs, still fit into all my jeans even at 9 months, and my baby was an 8 lb, 10 oz baby. So it IS doable. I know too many people who are either scared of exercising during pregnancy OR they use it as an excuse to become lazy! Find healthier alternatives for your cravings, there always is one! Like I craved peanut butter, like Captain Crunch’s peanut butter balls. Instead I made myself healthy PB&J sandwiches.

Ossie-Sharon 11 years ago

Hi, Lina7. A couple of the key principles of this program are consistent with recommended diets for dealing with hypothyroidism, namely small frequent meals throughout the day, and avoiding raw soy. Other tips include not taking iodine supplements unless you are deficient. If you eat the following foods, it is best if they are cooked (many you would cook anyway): soy, pine nuts, peanuts, millet, strawberries, pears , peaches, many root vegetables (i.e. bamboo shoots, sweet potatoes, kohlrabi, turnips, rutabaga, radishes, horseradish), greens (i.e. spinach, bok choy, collard, mustard, kale), Brassica vegetables (broccoli and broccolini, Brussels sprouts, regular and Chinese cabbage, cauliflower), canola/rapeseed.

Lina7 11 years ago

Hi Ossie and All, I just found that I have hypothyroidism (the doctor calls is subclinical because my TSH is 9 and if it is above 10, then medication is recommended, normal levels are between 0.4 and 4.5). I am writing to ask if you know about any particular diet choices that can help me regulate the hormone in a natural way. Also, I wonder if there are other moms who have been diagnosed with the same condition?

I think I’ve had it for 2 years now…after being diagnosed, I read the side effects and found out that fatigue is one of them. I have been feeling tired since the beginning of my pregnancy (much more tired and in a need of a rest than other expecting women around me). Now my baby is 1 year old and I still need a lot of willpower to get out of bed every morning…I thought this is a normal feeling once you are pregnant, breastfeeding, waking up in the middle of the night (by baby) – often few times a night, – and running around the house.

Another side effect is not losing weight, or even gaining more. I have to say that I am 30lbs less than I was at the end of my pregnancy, 20lbs I lost immediately following the delivery, and the rest 10 I got off for 12 months (there were times that I gained 3-4 lbs during these 12 months). Much lower rate than many other still nursing moms around me.

I would love to share more if there are other women with the same condition or side effect (fatigue and difficulty losing weight). Please write back.

If you are still nursing, it is absolutely OK (and een recommended) to add a little extra. Extra-virgin olive oil is excellent, but don’t forget a few extra proteins and carbs, too here and there (and more fluids, too).

jessi 11 years ago

Hi,
I have a 14-month old and I’m still nursing. I’m so grateful for this program, because it has staved off the constant feeling I was having of being constantly famished. I joined because even though I’m still nursing, I actually gained weight over the past year which felt pretty devastating. This last week I lost 3 lbs and feel heartened by that. As a nursing mama, in the later stages of nursing, is there anything different I need to do? Also, I’m really confused about how fats work into the menu planner such as butter and olive oil (I know to use them at a minimum, but is a little ok?). Thanks a great deal.

Hi, Lina. You need about 1/2-2/3 more carbs and protein, and about a fifth more fats and fibers than you would when you were not pregnant, and a total of about 13 glasses per day of fluids.
The Trim Down Club program diet already provides a lot of protein, so you won’t need to add very much. Snacks are a great place to add the extras, to provide an even flow of nutrients throughout the day. Good foods to add include legumes, which are high in carbs and fiber with some protein, and nuts (especially almonds and hazelnuts), which are high in good fats with some protein; one serving of each three times per day will meet your needs. If you are able to drink a glass of water nearly every hour you’re awake and out of bed, you will probably meet your needs.

Lina7 11 years ago

Hi Ossie, thank you for your prompt response!
I just joined your program yesterday and printed all the material you are providing. I understand that it will be easier to follow the express 14 day meal plan before I start creating my own menus. Do you think that based on this plan you can give me an advice as of what needs to be adjusted to fit my case (breastfeeding 3 times a day)?
I am 35 years old, height is 5’7” (66in); weight 177 pounds; pre-pregnancy weight 147 pounds. I calculated my lean body mass to be 107 pounds (it takes into account bone density and muscle mass). In addition I am quite active, so as you mentioned, this also means that additional calories have to be included to maintain the lean body mass.
I also see that you post many article from studies done and their significant findings. If you know of one/some that are on the topic we discuss will you point those out, please?
Thanks much for your time and consideration! I cannot wait for your response.

Hi, Lina. When you started your post-pregnancy nutritional plan, was it based on this program, or from something else? Since nutritional needs go up during nursing, it is more important than ever not to eat too little, because the rebound weight gain mechanism is even stronger. If you want, you can post a typical day’s menu that you got from the Menu Planner application here, and I can do some quick calculations for you. In the meantime, below are a few tips for weight loss while breastfeeding, while making sure you are producing adequate milk to meet your infant’s needs (principles very similar to those of the Trim Down Club program):
1. Eat balanced meals and snacks every few hours. Newborns generally eat every three to four hours or more often, which means your body is using energy to produce milk that often.
2. Drink plenty of water. Breastmilk is 50% water, and water is also an important part of the metabolic process. A good rule of thumb is to drink at least eight ounces after every nursing session around the clock.
3. Do not ignore hunger cues or delay responding, even if you only ate a short time before. If you’re hungry just an hour or two after eating, perhaps the meal or snack was high in carbohydrates. Since they are a primary energy source, your body burns through them very quickly. Make sure you also have protein or fat with your carbohydrates to see if this pattern changes and you are satisfied longer.
4. After you have been released for exercise by your medical provider, work to establish a fitness routine that gradually increases in frequency and duration. Be sure to include both cardio and strength training exercises that focus on your core. Try to include baby when possible. Strollers or front-of-the-body baby carriers provide wonderful resistance to help get your heart rate up while walking. Get outside or to a mall to walk and spend time with baby. Your little one can also be a great partner for strength training as well. These demos will help you learn how.
5. Remember that you gained weight slowly and you should lose weight slowly. Don’t try to do anything drastic to lose weight faster. Instead, work on establishing healthy eating and fitness habits that will allow you to maintain a healthy rate of weight loss without dieting. Remember it is important to include a variety of foods in your healthy eating plan.
6. If you are exercising, have a physically demanding or active job, or spend much of your day running around after other children and caring for your home, you may need even more calories than you think. Most times, hunger will help guide your intake to meet these increased needs as you work or care for your family. As long as you are listening to your hunger cues and eating enough to satisfy those cues, you should be meeting your body’s needs. A good rule of thumb if you are very active is to eat an additional 100 calories for every mile run or 15 minutes of exercise over and above the increased needs you have for breastfeeding. So, if you run three miles, you’ll need to add 300 calories throughout the day.
7. Some new breastfeeding moms will continue to lose more weight after reaching their pre-pregnancy weight because they have developed an efficient metabolic rate. This may seem ideal, but it can lead to a decrease in milk production, which is not desirable if you hope to continue breastfeeding.
8. If you want to drop below your pre-pregnancy weight, realize that your body may or may not cooperate. If weight loss was difficult before pregnancy, more than likely, you will have trouble both losing additional weight and providing an adequate milk supply. Instead of focusing on losing weight, consider your return to a pre-pregnancy weight a great success and focus on strength training to increase muscle strength and definition. The added muscle will help boost your metabolism.

Lina7 11 years ago

I am quite similar the Krystal. I gained 60 pounds during pregnancy (207 was my weight right before delivery) and now almost a full year later I am 177 pounds and haven’t lost a single one in the last few months. Like Krystal, I am eating healthy – lots of veggies, salads, proteins and I am physically active (yoga – twice a week, cardio – 3 times a week with good sweats, stretching – 2 times a week and abs as often as I can and walks in the neighbrhood). I admit I was even more active before the baby, but I am doing the best I can now that I am busier. One big factor for my weight loss, I believe, is the fact that I am still nursing – usually 3 times a day, but it can get up to 6-7 if my girl has a cold. Does anyone know more about breastfeeding and weight loss? I see very slim moms who are breastfeeding… sure it is about hormones and the balance of hormones, but what can be done now to help me with weight loss while still nursing?

Hi, KLTT. Try sipping on something instead of nibbling – tea or even a mug of fat-free cocoa is better than a huge amount of carb-rich snacks. Make exercise – even just a walk or any sort of movement in front of the TV – part of your “me” time. Find me-time activities that use your hands to an extent where eating is not practical, or that take up your attention so deeply that you don’t need the carbs.
If all else fails, cut back gradually on the amount on which you nibble – portion ahead of time, and make it a little less each time.

KLTT 11 years ago

I am trying to lose 50 pounds of post babies weight. I have been trying for 3.5 years. I’ve been working with a naturopath for a year which has improved my mind but shown no difference on the scale yet. I really hope the menu planner works for me! I’ve tried it for 2 days and am eating more before 1pm then I usually eat all day!! My hardest time is after the kids go to bed though …. all I want is some me time & lots of carbs!! Not sure how I’m gonna shake that nasty delicious habit!!!

krystal 11 years ago

I gave birth 5 months ago before pregnancy i was 135 lean pounds with nicely toned mussel but i gained an outstanding 90 pounds during pregnancy…. yup the day before giving birth i was 226 pounds. since Im a dance teacher and a training freak i have manage to loose 50 pounds in 5 months im at 176 but still have 40 pounds to go and its getting harder guess baby weight is harder to loose than i thought. Hope with this program my metabolism gets back on track cause i do suspect thats whats wrong because trust me i do not have lack of exercise nor over eating.

Brugger 11 years ago

I am in the same boat. I had twins 11 months ago. My doctor never said anything about my weight gain while I was pregnant, and I haven’t changed those eating habits that much since giving birth. I have just over 50 pounds to lose to get to my goal weight. I’m hoping this club is what I need to get some healthy eating habits set in my brain for life.

Jessica 11 years ago

After I had my son it was hard for me to lose all the weight I had gained. Although I am still not back down to the size I ideally want I am hoping this community helps me get it off and keep it off. I have about fifty pounds to go. I have started to eat lighter and walk around the neighborhood which is helping.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.