Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Ossie-Sharon 6 years ago

Hi, floyd.b. Assess the nutritional value of each individual ingredient, dividing the totals into appropriate exchanges; then add together the exchanges and divide the totals by the number of servings.
For example (assuming a traditional recipe for the beef stew), each ounce of meat is a protein exchange, so 12 ounces = 12 protein exchanges; each 3-inch potato is 2 carbohydrate exchanges, so 3 potatoes = 6 carbohydrate exchanges; each cup of non-starchy vegetables = 1 vegetable exchange (2 when raw), so 1 cup each of carrots, celery, onions, and tomato = 4-8 vegetable exchanges; + 4 cups of water (free) and seasonings (free) – to make 12 cups of stew. According to your menu pattern, this recipe will yield for you 6 2-cup servings of 2 protein + 1 carbohydrate + 1 vegetable exchange (lunch); you can also divide it by 4 to yield 3 protein + 0.75 carbohydrate + 1.5 vegetable exchanges (dinner).

floyd.b 6 years ago

I am trying to compile my own menus using the help you gave me on nutritional values to help replace the given units with amounts of carbs, proteins and fats on labels . As I tend to slow cook meat stews, and my own fruit pies with produce from the garden. How can I estimate the nutritional values of these meals and incorporate them into my menu.

Brenda

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.