Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Ossie-Sharon 7 years ago

Hi, you two. Yes, menopause is indeed an issue in weight management, especially as it signals switching muscle for fat. The most reliable (and healthiest) way to give your body a boost here is through physical activity. This is not just because of the extra energy it burns, but also because it protects and strengthens your most important fat-burning asset, muscle tissue.
If you are new to exercise, please let us know, and we can assist you with resources on getting started if you wish—note that you don’t have to dive headfirst into anything strenuous, and that there are helpful exercises to fit all ability levels and time schedules. Even just walking in place in front of the TV for the length of a sitcom is great—if you feel like you’re “out of shape,” just start with 5 minutes each time, and work your way up to 30 minutes, then twice per day if you need.
If you recently started exercising, the number on the scale may not be reliable at this stage. Since you are now swapping fat for muscle, which is much heavier, you may be getting healthier while the number of pounds or kilos stays the same. In this case, pay more attention to how you’re looking and feeling, how your clothes are fitting, etc. You may be pleasantly surprised!
If you have been exercising all along, good for you! Ironically, the fact that you are in good shape may be slowing you down a bit here, as the muscles you usually use may have become complacent and don’t burn energy the way they did at the beginning. In this case, we suggest to introduce new exercises, even swapping them out for the old ones for a little while, to wake up new muscles. The best results have been reported with introducing weight training—again, it doesn’t have to be super strenuous, just something you can do on a regular basis. Even just lifting filled food cans in front of the TV counts. Another option is to mix up the rhythm by adding bursts of higher intensity movement to a steady aerobic regime. This can be something like 30 seconds of jogging or going uphill every 5 minutes during a regular walk.
Regardless of your situation, it is recommended to you discuss your plans with your health care provider to be sure any needed safety steps are taken.
If you have additional questions or concerns, or if none of these scenarios appear to apply to you—and/or you are noticing that the food amounts are exceeding your physical comfort level—please do repost, and we will work with you to right-size both aspects of your plan.

mo56 7 years ago

Hi to you both, I’ve not done any exercise as yet although I never stop I’m always on the go as I’ve 2 part time cleaning jobs and very busy at home, I’m eating a lot of water melon/ grapes and bananas although its good am I eating too much fruit or maybe its my age and going through the menopause lol ?

Suduffysgirl 7 years ago

ive been on this healthy eating plan for 4 weeks now and to be honest i had already been eating healthy in a simular way for about 3 weeks before- i dont understand why i have not lost a single pound in weight in the last 7 weeks ( one week 1 1/2 pound came off but is back on) ? I do feel well but also feeling frustrated

Ossie-Sharon 7 years ago

Hi, mo56. Part of the issue may be that you’re very close to your ideal weight, and the last few pounds can be the most difficult. Also, if you have been exercising, you may be trading fat for muscle, the latter being heavier. In this case, you may be looking better, even though the scale stays the same.
What sort of exercise are you doing?

mo56 7 years ago

Hi, I’m coming up to the BIG 60 in July lol, and going through the menopause, I’ve always tried to eat healthy to a point,but for the last 3 weeks I’ve cut down on bread mashed potatoes and sweet food / chocolate etc although I do have diet coke or pepsi. but upped my veg/fruit/muslie/white meat and get brown bread. although I,m very active every day with 2 part time cleaning jobs looking after a pregnant 19 year od granddaughter who has Autisum, so I never stop,I’m trying to motivate myself to do exercise.so where am I going wrong ? I’m not losing weight, MO59

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.