Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Globee1 11 years ago

Hi Corinna, don’t know if it helps but I share your love for potatoes but have found another love – sweet potatoes. I boil them, shallow fry them, mash with butternut squash but my favourite is to roast them in the jacket. Yes I do agree that walking will help me tremendously but I struggle with breathlessness and lightheadedness after any form of exercise and have to be careful. However, with the spring and summer on the horizon, I’m looking forward to starting with small steps, perhaps on the farm here or on the beach. Fortunately I love being outdoors so will definitely try as I know it will enhance my weight loss.

Ossie-Sharon 11 years ago

Hi, 1forwedding. Those medications are not known to interfere. With Synthroid it is the opposite – correcting hypothyroid should help weight loss.

corinnacat 11 years ago

Patsy, I don’t have a problem with potatoes, I just like them way too much. Typically, I like to use small red potatoes on the grill that cook along with some veggies and chicken or fish. My doctor has me doing a yeast free diet at this point, to cleanse my intestinal tract etc. of the bad bacteria. It is all part of their theory of avoiding allergies and finding a way to take the weight off. Starve the yeast that have built up from antibiotic use and other things we are exposed to; kill it with a fungicide; and then rebuild good bacteria to help in reestablishing a good balance.

How wonderful to take an active role in trying to get better at 78! I know it is possible to come off medications and to make medical issues better by healthier eating and exercise.

I think the comraderie of this group will help to persevere.

Corinna

PatsySeo 11 years ago

I joined about a week ago. I am 78, take a number of medications and have a weight problem. I am hoping this diet club will help me change my habits and have more energy to exercise.
I guess if you have problems with potatoes you should not eat them. I like potatoes and yams both just microwaved. I thought the main problem with both was not the root itself so much as the butter etc. one likes on them

corinnacat 11 years ago

I joined this morning. I do not have really terrible health issues, but I am on a number of medications each day. My doctor has prescribed a yeast free diet which has worked for me in the past. I am now on more bio-identical hormones and I have wondered if they cause any weight gain — mostly we work on managing my thyroid as my body became allergic to synthroid completely. The porcine thyroid is a miracle.

I have found that 54 is a huge difference from 50. I was one of the queens of bootcamp and then stopped doing much at all due to depression and a foot issue. I am now able to exercise again, but in returning to the bootcamp venue, I was appalled at just how unfit I have become physically.

I am interested in all the menu options, but I still have to steer clear of the white flour and wheat products, rice, dairy and potatoes. I have told my doctor that being of Irish descent, potatoes and bread are a must but I will have to learn how to eat them occasionally and not like my heart’s desire.

Sam E is a new supplement they have added for me which is supposed to help with joint issues and with mood. I am in Texas so I have all the ingredients — except unpasturized products (and tasty cheese) readily available. Globee, it has been my experience that even a few minutes of walking at a time is better than none. I have seen many reports that ten minute walks throughout the day are extremely beneficial as if someone were walking 45 – 60 minutes at once.

Also I know that adding healthy mini meals or snacks revs our older metabolisms.

I am very happy to be on this journey with other people my age who are facing health issues. Wouldn’t it be lovely to find that we are all much younger than our current health issues indicate through eating better and exercise.

Look forward to your posts.

Corinna

1forwedding 11 years ago

I just joined today and also have medication issues. I take Sotalol for Atrial Fibrulation (fast heart rate), Synthroid for my Thyroid, and Lisinopril for my High Blood Pressure. I’m 59 and need to lose 100 pounds, so I’m wondering if my medications will interfer with my weight loss. My Cardiologist has cleared me to exercise so that isn’t a concern, I just have to ease into it.

Ossie-Sharon 11 years ago

Hi, Maureen. A cup is 8 fluid ounces, or 240 milliliters. Quinoa is a grain-like seed that is used as an alternative to rice, barley, etc. It is considered to be very low in vitamin K.

maureenbravington 11 years ago

I take Warfarin, so can’t eat foods with Vitamin K – like dark green vegetables, garlic and curry. I don’t like highly-spiced foods anyway. Can anyone tell me what Quinoa is, please? Also, for us in the UK, what exactly is a ‘cup’ weight?

Mobra.

Globee1 11 years ago

Hi Morosser, It seems that not many on this site have the medication problem we both face and like you, struggle to see any changes. However, I have to mention that I jumped on the scales this morning and discovered that I have lost a total of 5 kilos (10+ lbs) even though my tummy didn’t feel any different. I feel lighter and my belt has gone down another notch. Don’t give up! I was at the point of doing the same.

marosser 11 years ago

Hi, I joined this site about two weeks ago, and I believe I’m struggling to begin the program mainly because of my diabetes and hypertension. I’m feeling as if I’m fighting a loosing battle against the fat that I’ve accumulated due mostly in part to my illnesses. I’ve have however; made a decision to become more proactive in using the techniques being shared to really make noticeable changes in my lifestyle this year. With my diabetes medicine, I’m seeing some weight loss, my friends have even noticed but my mid-section still looks the same and that is why I’m motivated to change how I’m addressing my health and fitness.
Wish me luck…..I’m on a mission.

Globee1 11 years ago

Hi, not quite a newbie but very slow at starting. I was wondering if there was anyone with medical conditions treated with pharmaceutical drugs starting the club plan and how they were coping. I suffer from psoriatic arthritis, addison’s disease, hypertension and angina, recovering stroke and duodenal ulcer. I’m almost 60 and had expected the usual amount of old age maladies, but not this much (smile). However, the for arthritis I take methotrexate every week in the highest dose, humira injections every 2 weeks and codeine and anti-inflammatory drugs. For the addisons disease I have to take hydrocortisone and fludrocortisone for life. Then I take aspirin for the stroke and omeprazole for the ulcer which is probably due to the other medications I have to take.
I accummulated 2 1/2 stones (roughly 35 pounds) over the course of 2 years because of the steroids and have been struggling ever since to lose weight because certain foods can cause my ulcer to flare up or cause my liver to react, but this I think is because of the drugs as I have to have regular 8-week blood checks. I talked to my doctor about it and was told that because I have to take the steroids for life, it’s always going to be a problem. However, I will not give up. I’ve been searching for ages for a good eating plan to help me lose weight sensibly and finally came across the TrimdownClub which I registered with. Another problem is exercise. As a result of the arthritis in my spine, hips, knees, ankles, neck and shoulders, I struggle to stick to a regular routine. I am receiving physiotherapy from the clinic but still find it difficult to walk for longer than 20 minute spells. The second problem (a small one) is that I live in the north of Scotland where it can sometime be difficult to acquire the ingredients I need to make the tantalizing recipes. Most of the ingredients are readily available but some (like Stevia syrup and powder used in many) are difficult to come by. I will try to locate them online so won’t give up but, what I wanted to know is if anyone else has struggled like me and what would they recommend or advise me to do or not do. I hope no-one feels I’m moaning about my health problems, it’s just frustrating trying to find a way to stay healthy and lose weight when medication is a necessity. Thank you in anticipation.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.