Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Ossie-Sharon 6 years ago

Hi, Louis. When talking about serving sizes, it always matters what the food is. In general, 1 cup is often 8 ounces.

louismarijim 6 years ago

Thank you Ossie-Sharon for your reply, but what I really need to know is if when I see 1cup or 1-serving as a measurement are we talking about 8oz? no matter what the food is.

Ossie-Sharon 6 years ago

Hi, louismarijim. For the most part, you have that right – 1 cup and 8 fluid ounces (volume measurements, also equal to 240 ml if that helps) are indeed the same thing, though just 8 ounces (weight measurement) may be different, unless the item is similar to a liquid (e.g., yogurt, sauce, ice cream, etc). Servings may have different sizes and weights.
Using the example you provided, you would refer to the vegetable button in the Menu Planner food lists to see the serving sizes – for most raw vegetables it is 1 cup, but 1/2 cup for steamed. It seems like a lot on paper, but when you measure them out, you’ll see it’s not more than a restaurant salad. The point, of course, is to keep you feeling full and being very well nourished.

louismarijim 6 years ago

I need help understanding the actual quantities and terminology for measuring vegetables. Question – is 1cup, 8oz, and 1-serving all the same thing? I am in the 4th week of the 8 week plan and part of today’s lunch is 1-serving of vegetable salad and 1-serving of green vegetable salad and I am assuming that the green vegetable salad are leafy greens. Now what I am thinking is that I should be eating 8oz of both salads for a total of 16oz and if so that is a lot of vegetables. please advise.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.