Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Mnwatson0703 10 years ago

I also have 2 herniated discs in my lower back and find that using my recumbent exercise bike or riding my new recumbent trike are very comfortable ways to get exercise. To make it more fun, I attached a trailer to my trike so my granddaughter can ride along. Our outings to the park, the stores nearby or the duck pond make it a lot less about the drudgery of exercise and more about sharing adventures!

Radisson 10 years ago

bonnieleek

That’s exactly what my doctor told me about a year ago: Use it or lose it. So everyone has to find a way to keep active and any activity is as good as the next. I found that light kettlebells exercise help me a lot.

bonnieleek 10 years ago

I’m over 68 years old with 2 herniated discs ad severe arthritis in my knees, lower back and probably everywhere else in my body. I didn’t know I had all that arthritis until I recently went to the doctor about some “pains.” The bottom line for me is: with all the arthritis I have the only reason I can move is that I DO move: walk 5 miles a day, Pilates 3x a week, weight training 2x a week, bicycle … After being thoroughly examined the prescription is: keep moving! I learned that just because I have pain does not mean I am making things worse .. so I’m learning to live with, manage the pain. I’ve finally agreed to take Aleve 3x a day as an anti-inflammatory and I added turmeric with pepper to my vitamin regimen for the same reason .. but I am living testimony to the fact that keeping moving is the best antidote. I am also learning some “TP Therapy” (trigger point therapy) that I can do for myself every night and it helps also. Getting older is not always pretty .. but I am learning that I can keep it from getting downright ugly through exercise!

Meagan Lee 11 years ago

lucyandjr, I agree with Ossie. Depending on what is causing the pain will depend on what exercises you should and can do right now. If it is a muscle spasm, slipped disk, deterioration, decreased soft tissue etc… there are fixes for that but a chiropractor will be able to determine that and then the course of action best suited for you. I had a muscle spasm in my lower back and I swore it was the vertebrae but it wasn’t. Once I had my chiro use muscle stimulation and a few adjustments I am as good as new but it limited me to what I could and couldnt do for a long time until I sought out help. Best to take action and see a pro so you are back on your feet blowing and going! Good luck!

Ossie-Sharon 11 years ago

Hi, lucyandjr. First and foremost, I would definitely recommend that you have the problem evaluated by a professional – I’m probably preaching to the choir when I suggest that isn’t normal. If you have been evaluated, I hope you are continuing to get follow-up and/or care.
Having said that, if a physical therapist and/or personal trainer don’t fit in with your life, perhaps you could join a directed exercise group – even temporarily – with an instructor who could recommend the best exercises for you and then supervise at least at the beginning. Possibilities include Feldenkreis and Pilates.
I am also posting the following exercises that have been suggested for people with complaints similar to yours:
1. Water aerobics (the buoyancy of the water in the pool may take the strain off your back
2. Partial crunches (NOT full sit-ups) can help strengthen your back and stomach muscles. Lie with knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Cross arms over your chest or put hands behind your neck. Tighten stomach muscles and raise your shoulders off the floor. Breathe out as you raise your shoulders. Don’t lead with your elbows or use arms to pull your neck off the floor. Hold for a second, then slowly lower back down. Repeat 8 to 12 times. Proper form prevents excessive stress on your low back. Your feet, tailbone, and lower back should remain in contact with the mat at all times.
3. Hamstring Stretches: Lie on your back and bend one knee. Loop a towel under the ball of your foot. Straighten your knee and slowly pull back on the towel. You should feel a gentle stretch down the back of your leg. Hold for at least 15 to 30 seconds. Do 2 to 4 times for each leg.
4. Wall Sits. Stand 10 to 12 inches from the wall, then lean back until your back is flat against the wall. Slowly slide down until your knees are slightly bent, pressing your lower back into the wall. Hold for a count of 10, then carefully slide back up the wall. Repeat 8 to 12 times.
5. Bird Dog: Start on your hands and knees, and tighten your stomach muscles. Lift and extend one leg behind you. Keep hips level. Hold for 5 seconds, and then switch to the other leg. Repeat 8 to 12 times for each leg, and try to lengthen the time you hold each lift. Try lifting and extending your opposite arm for each repetition. This exercise is a great way to learn how to stabilize the low back during movement of the arms and legs. While doing this exercise don’t let the lower back muscles sag. Only raise the limbs to heights where the low back position can be maintained.
6. Knee to Chest: Lie on your back with knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Bring one knee to your chest, keeping the other foot flat on the floor. Keep your lower back pressed to the floor, and hold for 15 to 30 seconds. Then lower your knee and repeat with the other leg. Do this 2 to 4 times for each leg.
7. Bridging: Lie on your back with knees bent and just your heels on the floor. Push your heels into the floor, squeeze your buttocks, and lift your hips off the floor until shoulders, hips, and knees are in a straight line. Hold about 6 seconds, and then slowly lower hips to the floor and rest for 10 seconds. Repeat 8 to 12 times. Avoid arching your lower back as your hips move upward. Avoid overarching by tightening your abdominal muscles prior and throughout the lift.

lucyandjr 11 years ago

Hello I am new to this site and would like to know if anyone could give me some advice on how to exercise without hurting my lower back pain. I have a treadmill and can walk 30 minutes and then must stop due to the pain. I have also tried a dancing cd, and have the same problem. I know I must exercise and keep it moving in order to stay healthy. It seems to be a challenge for me. Please help!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.