Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
mingo1940 11 years ago

Just started this program and wanted to say Thanks to Ossie for the info on different flours as shown above. Good work,Ossie. Don

Ossie-Sharon 11 years ago

The following is some information about substituting flours. Note that while quinoa is a grain-type seed somewhat similar to wheat, coconut, flaxseed, and almond flours are much higher in fat and so have some different properties.
1. Quinoa Flour

Quinoa is a complete protein and is filled with health benefits. This gluten free flour is a very versatile and easy to bake with.

Quinoa flour adds taste, moisture, protein and binding action to your baked treats; and should be a staple for gluten free baking.

2. Millet Flour

A healthy delicious and healthy gluten free flour, Millet flour is delicious to combine with other secondary flours.

3. Amaranth Flour

This gluten free flour is the most difficult to bake with. It is considered to be a “complete protein” and is very valuable to use for that reason. It also adds a sweet taste that is lovely.
◾Please beware though that too much of this gluten free flour can make your baked goods not turn out at all.

Tip: Do not use more than 1/4 of a cup (TOPS) of Amaranth flour in any recipe. Even 1-2 tablespoons enriches the health benefits of your treat.

4. Almond Meal

Please don’t confuse almond meal with blanched almond flour. They are NOT the same.

Almond meal grinds up the entire almond, where blanched almond flour removes the skin. The skin is loaded with health benefits, so almond meal is very good to use in cooking and baking; but only in very small amounts.
◾Almond meal doesn’t act like a “flour” would, and is best to add no more than 1/2 cup if you are replacing flour.
◾Flaxseed meal acts like a fat substitute. A simple rule of thumb is that 3 tablespoons of ground flaxseed replaces 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of fat.

annaleeramos 11 years ago

I have flax meal too and was wondering why it wasn’t on the items list. Maybe the person or people that set up this website didn’t take as much time to set this up as they should have. There are so many people with questions and the only people giving out answered are other paid club members. I feel like we were all just thrown in together here without a guide. Its like handing a map to a 6 year old and tell them to meet you on the other side of the country. Maybe things will get better with time. It is only my second day.

Momma3 11 years ago

Questions I have are Saw that you could add to menu. Is there any rules to adding to the menu? Can you use coconut flour and almond flour in place of Quinoa flour? I have those on hand right now and would like to use them up. Also have flax meal. Anyway not sure about adding them to diet without including them in my menu.

Momma3 11 years ago

Hi Everyone! Started this program a couple days ago, and can I say I just love the menu planner. It is going to make my life so much easier. Looking forward to shedding those pounds.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.