Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Ossie-Sharon 10 years ago

Hi, JennM. The pattern for your current weight is below, followed by the target plan (as you lose weight, the amounts will decline, to prevent persistent plateauing). Units are similar to those used by the American Diabetic Association; ours will be published in the near future.
Based on current weight:
Breakfast: 2 starches, 2 proteins, 0-1 fat, 0-1 fruit
Morning Snack: 1-2 starches, 1 protein, 0-1 fat, 1 fruit
Lunch: 2 starches, 3-4 proteins, 0-1 fat, 1-2 vegetables
Afternoon Snack: 1-2 startches, 1 protein, 0-1 fat, 0-1 sweet, 1 fruit, 0-1 vegetable
Dinner: 2 starches, 3-4 proteins, 0-1 fat, 1 vegetable
Evening Snack: 1 protein, 1 starch or sweet or fruit
Eventually:
Breakfast: 1-2 starches, 1 protein, 0-1 fat, 0-1 fruit
Morning Snack: 0-1 starches, 1 protein, 0-1 fat, 0-1 fruit
Lunch: 2 starches, 2-3 proteins, 0-1 fat, 1-2 vegetables
Afternoon Snack: 1 starch or sweet, 1 protein, 1 fruit or vegetable
Dinner: 2 starches, 2-3 proteins, 0-1 fat, 1 vegetable
Evening Snack: 1 protein, 1 starch or sweet or fruit

JennM 10 years ago

Thanks Ossie…I am 47, 5’5″, 215lbs and I want to loose weight.

Ossie-Sharon 10 years ago

Hi, JennM. Yes, this program is based more on exchanges.
Cottage cheese can be selected from dairy proteins in the morning, and pineapple is selected from snacks (all fruits are). If you always want this combination in the morning, simply swap them in for whatever dairy and fruit appear there, being carefull not to eat too little. Regarding the total amount of protein, there is no doubt that you are getting more than 60 grams per day with this program.
If you would like to know your daily exchange pattern, please post your age, height, weight, and weight goal (maintenance or loss), and I will post it here for you.

JennM 10 years ago

I’m just trying to better understand the diet and I had a question…I understand that it’s not based on calorie counting but rather seems to be focused on what I commonly hear referred to as “food exchanges” (i.e. 1 carb exchange, or 1 protein exchange). My question is how many exchanges are considered acceptable per day?

For example I like to eat cottage cheese (usually ½ cup low/no fat) with pineapple (1/4 cup) for breakfast. However I can’t seem to select this in the menu planner…so what type of exchange would this be? I’m also guessing that to make the meal “balanced” I will have to add a grain going forward.

Also due to digestion issues I have to eat at least 60g of protein each day…can you advise how many grams of protein (approximately) would be in each protein exchange?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.