Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
Ossie-Sharon 11 years ago

Depending on your line of work, of course, I can only recommend that you carry a bottle of water with you at all times. I know many people who do this at work – when it is in your hand, you may sip even absent-mindedly, as many people do with snacks (if the popcorn is in a bowl in our laps, it will get finished without us even noticing). Then keep filling up the bottle as it empties out. If you keep track of how many bottles (and the volume) you drink in a day, you may see it add up, and will definitely feel less dehydrated.

Frank 11 years ago

I am worried because recently I’ve been working long hours, and because of this, being busy I kept forgetting to drink more water. I come home in the evening feeling dehydrated. 🙁
Any advice how to avoid this? I would set an alarm clock to remind myself to drink more water, but it’s inconvenient at work.

If the juice is less than 90% fluid (i.e. the rest being sugar, fibers, etc.) it is recommended that you think of just half the content as water, the rest fruit (if fresh-squeezed). In other words, you can drink less actual water, but it is not a 1:1 ratio. Hope that helps.

Elena 11 years ago

If I drink more juice, does that mean that I can drink less water that day? Or should I drink close to 10 glasses a day even if I drank a few glasses of freshly squeezed juice?

I usually drink less water on such days and wonder if that’s a bad thing that will ruin my diet…

Another possible motivator – recent research showed that drinking cool water in the morning can raise metabolism by up to 25%.

Joanne 11 years ago

In case someone needs extra motivation to drink water: I have read recently that drinking 6-8 glasses of water per day could help reduce wrinkles. Water keeps skin hydrated on a cellular basis – moisturizing it from the inside.
I don’t know how strong these effects are supposed to be, but it’s good to remind ourselves that drinking water has various good effects on the body. 🙂

To know how much water is needed, multiply your weight in kilograms by 24, or weight in pounds by 11, then add to that 3-4 cups for every hour you work out – double that if you are working out intensely in high heat, and be sure to get a source of “salts” (the stuff they put in sports drinks).
Water is the best beverage, but clear beverages with less than 6% sugar (i.e. simple, classic sports hydrators) and no carbonation diuretics are also OK. Green tea is a wonderful beverage for other reasons, but it does contain a diuretic, which means it pulls fluid from the body just as much as it adds. As for Crystal Light, that is better than a sugary drink, but artificial sweetners aren’t recommended in large amounts (for more than just the “cancer” reason). Note that 1 cup of a simple sports drink like Gatorade has only 20 calories, so it is still a good bargain if you don’t like plain water.

ctyler03 11 years ago

If you drink your weight in ounces of any fluid(not alcohol) you will definately be at the bathroom all day. You have less cravings. Water is best but all fluids count as long as your not sipping simple syrup!

April 11 years ago

Does it have to be straight water or can it be green tea or Crystal Light? I’m trying to drink a lot more water, but at times I just need something else.

Christa 11 years ago

One thing I have started to notice in my body is that, when I feel like I want something to eat and I drink water instead the desire to eat leaves me. I was quite surprise to realize this phenomenon happening in my body. Made me want to pay attention to what my body was saying to me more or at least try to understand it more.

Leonard 11 years ago

That’s a good point, Christa. And another thing – I used to be lazy and kept postponing getting up for a drink of water. (I’d just suppress my thirst for an hour or so, and then go for a glass of water.) Now I drink as soon as I get thirsty, and it makes a world of difference!

Christa 11 years ago

I don’t focus on how much water I drink during the day. I would rather focus on the fact that if I feel like I am thristy I drink water first over other things. This helps me as I tend to retain water more than I would like too.

Elena 11 years ago

Yeah, I’d say it’s a good measure. I never counted the ounces, but my goal is to drink close to 10 glasses a day… and when I think about it, it’s about the same amount as your goal.
However, I try to drink equally throughout the day – with the exception of the evening, when I drink a little less. Of course, if you exercise and sweat a lot, you should drink more at that time.
And good luck with your goal! 😉

Jeremy 11 years ago

Drinking 64 ounces a day is a good goal. I like to start the morning with lemon water. Try to drink some of the water (or even green tea) throughout the day, not just when you exercise. Good luck with losing the 40 pounds. You can do it!

Tisa 11 years ago

I have been trying to drink 64 ounces of water a day. I need to lose about 40 pounds and am wondering if I should be drinking more than 64 ounces. I drink most of the water before and after exercising.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.