Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Ossie-Sharon 11 years ago

If high cholesterol runs in your family, there is a risk for you, too. Bravo for taking the step of eating less greasy foods. Other suggestions include low-fat dairy, lean grass-fed meats, omega-3 eggs or egg whites only – or vegan – good oils such as those we suggest for the plan (especially olive oil), oats and oatbran, flaxseed, and lots of fresh vegetables and fruit (including peaches). Some fish is problematic not because of cholesterol, but because in today’s world, many food fish do not contain the omega-3 content that they should, and instead contain too much omega-6, which can increase the risk associated with high cholesterol. If you do like fish, it is best to try salmon, halibut, mackerel, or other “fatty fish,” or try a health food store for omega-3 enhanced fish (i.e. algae-fed or flax-fed). Omega-3 supplements are also often recommended for people with cholesterol-related risk who do not get enough omega-3s from food – be careful to buy from a reliable source that provides a bit of vitamin E in the capsule (i.e. Now, Source Naturals), and to store them in the refrigerator. If high triglycerides are a problem in your family, it is also advisable to avoid simple sugars, i.e. in sweets and refined white grain products.

olgatrimdown 11 years ago

Yes, fish is a problem with cholesterol, because it continuous about the same (or even more) cholesterol (like salmon) as beef or chicken (if to compare the same amount, like 3 oz). Don’t avoid peaches, it’s fruit, no one fruit has cholesterol…General speaking, it’s all about to eat more protein and less sugar (like Dukan diet, if you heard about it) and no processed food. You don’t need all this “programs”, just follow those simple rules: min sugar (one portion of fruits per day), min processed food, more protein.

LisaRish 11 years ago

If high cholesterol runs in my family, what are the odds that I’ll have problems with it as well? I heard that I am under greater risk. To prevent possible problems, I eat less greasy foods and avoid, for example, eggs and peaches. I never knew that fish is also a problem. Oops.

olgatrimdown 11 years ago

Menu that was offered/calculated for me is very high in cholesterol, it includes 3 fish and/or chicken meals daily, even for healthy person it’s to much…And what is about people who already has high level of cholesterol? I think it’s diet not healthy. Any other opinion?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.